Calcium Reactor Media: What do you use?

JasReef

Hello and good day everyone! I recently got in my calcium reactor.[emoji106]

fa03af1b4f41ebacdfefab87bace1efb.jpg

I was wondering what you all find success with in choosing media. I am looking at the TLF Reborn and adding Neomag for Mg. I have read the reviews but would like real world experiences from the locals.

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks juiceman and jestep! Looks like two for ARM. How much do you go through in about a year? I realize my tank is young and not full of stoney corals (yet!) but I wonder if I should order enough to fill it with some for top off or just go for the 50 lb bag.

Jestep, yea I learned my lesson on buying used or lesser quality so I saved my dimes and waited to order the biggest and best I could. I had to wait an extra month for the GEO 618 but I think it will be worth it. I learned my lesson vicariously through Dans thread (thanks for posting Dan) with the regulator and waited to get the digital one.

Now I just need to get the media ordered and figure out how to set this up.doh.gif Should be fun times!

TLF Reborn for me. I used the ARM media for years until they had a bad batch that took out some tanks. Then I switched.

Big difference I notice is the media looks like sticks of acros whereas the the ARM media is chunks. I've never had to run a magnesium supplement with either media.

I use ARM, but I think my Mg levels were pretty low using it. My CaRX has been offline for a few months now so I can't really back it up at the moment. I also break up and throw dead SPS skeletons in there to recycle them back into new corals. The great circle of life in the aquarium

giphy.gif

ARM + neomag for me. Mg levels took awhile to get straightened out but seems to be going well now.

How long does y'alls CO2 last? Now that I'm pushing about 15mL/hour effluent out, a 5lb bottle seems like it's going to last about 2, maybe 3 months max.

Jeez, if you guys are going through that much, it's probably time to get a 50 or 100 lb bottle and be done with it for a few years at a time.

Ty increased the global temperature by .5 degrees last year due to aquarium CO2 usage...

Jeez, if you guys are going through that much, it's probably time to get a 50 or 100 lb bottle and be done with it for a few years at a time.

Ty increased the global temperature by .5 degrees last year due to aquarium CO2 usage...

You should see the satellite imagery over my house for CO2 production from 2014-2015!

You should see the satellite imagery over my house for CO2 production from 2014-2015!

That was from too many egg rolls in 2015!!!!!

Reborn and neo-mag here.

Reborn and new-mag here.

No, the eggrolls contributed to the carbon monoxide issue... Not carbon dioxide. [emoji41]

Reborn and new-mag here.

No, the eggrolls contributed to the carbon monoxide issue... Not carbon dioxide. [emoji41]
Uggh chemisty fail. I'm sorry. :(

Jas,

Get the 20lber.

I say y'all should just get boilers and run the exhaust through a water scrubber and then into your reactors. With gasoline prices the way they are, it may not be a bad idea [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those air guys are such nerds! [emoji16]

I ended up with the reburn from TLF and some neomag. It turns out I have a 10# co2 bottle so thats better than the 5#. Thanks for all who chimed in and offered information on what you use, I appreciate the discussion on this board.

I have a question for those that have the same regulator as me, what do you keep the psi at? It came with no directions so I'm wondering what you all use. I know Dan and Ty have the same digital regulator so please let me know if you can.

Thanks

Archived