First salt water tank. LED lighting question

cliff

So I am setting up a 45 gallon bow front tank. I mainly want to grow soft coral at first. I heard they are easier to grow, require less light, and hardier than hard coral. Question. Since I am just starting up, as you all know, it is getting expensive. Tank, Rock, Sand, Sump, Power heads,etc. I want to buy a light, however I want to buy a cheaper light that will work for now before I upgrade to a nice light in the future for hard and soft coral. Does anyone have any recommendations for a light that will work for now. I know I know.... spend a lot now, save in the long run. I'm married....that should explain that... I want to start on the cheaper side. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, I second that in the other thread.

In my opinion, especially given the difference I saw in the corals from my previous unit, I would make the investment now as light is one of the key contributors to the corals.

The Ocean Revive unit is a great deal. My tank is a zoo only tank, so I don't need the intensity but the unit allows you to adjust intensity on each channel. One channel for blue and one channel for white. You have flexibility based on the coral inhabitants so if you decide to move from soft corals into more light demanding you have the ability to ramp the channels up to support with the same unit.

I still have my old unit, AquaticLife 2x18 watt T5. You're welcomed to it if it helps get you going; if would also give you a chance to look at the T-247B unit first hand. I would just ask to remember me later when you need to frag.

Your best success is going to be matching the lighting conditions for the specific corals frags or colonies you are getting. There is never an ideal lighting level, what ever you choose there will be soft and stoney corals that do not like either the spectrum or intensity and some corals are very forgiving other corals are not. The birdsnest in my thread here: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/24054-the-difference-a-12-inch-makes/%C2'> will grow completely white with very low light or dark dark purple under 600 PAR. It's best color is somewhere in the middle and while it happily tolerates a 50% - 100% change in light intensity it needs to be carefully acclimated to a 200% or 300% or more change in light intensity. Other corals will not tolerate the low light conditions birdsnest will nor will they tolerate the high light intensity birdsnest will. The purple variant of Montipora digitata being one example, t will die at lower light levels birdsnest tolerates and at higher intensities birdsnest will grow in the Montipora digitata will become a solid purple but all it's efforts are put into dealing with excess light and it stops growing and eventually dies.

As a side note there are so many variables and so many species and corals learn their environment and individual colonies will demonstrate prefferences there are no "rules of thumb" or generalizations that work.

Well I ordered the t-247. I am going to research every fish and coral before I put them in to see if they can get along and live in the same conditions. Can't wait for my light!

I tried rehabbing my neighbors cheapo chinese LEDs... it "looked" good, but didnt really put out the PAR required for anything nice. Its best to invest in something tried and true marketed for aquariums which produce the output you need. Theres frugal and then theres cheap... go the frugal route and buy used units from people who just upgraded (ie. AI Sol's are still really good, just not the latest and greatest). dont buy cheapo fly-by-night website leds smile.png

...also check out the BRS videos on lighting... they compared all kinds and did tests and made charts... was really in depth.

Archived