Anemone split

rogerbn

Is it ok to split a long tentacle anemone? If so what is needed and how would you do it and what is the possibility that the anemone will not survive? I would have to say that it is about 4 to 5 inches around or bigger when it fully out. I have had the anemone for about 8 months now and it seems to be doing a lot better that I started to give it two blocks of mysis shrimp once or twice a week.

it is possible to split them. You make two cuts with a scalpel from the mouth out so you have two mirrored pieces split down the mouth when you are done. Cut along one of the body sections. I would go buy a condy and practice on him first. You will need MAD flow over the anemone after you cut as it will produce a lot of slime. Of course put both pieces back in the same tank they came from when done. The chances of infection setting in and death are pretty high. Only attempt on very healthy specimens.

GL

LTA's don't reproduce asexually, they only reproduce sexually. If your LTA is 5 to 6 inches round, they get a lot bigger than that. Their disc gets about 18 or 20 inches accross maximum. My purple LTAs disc is 10" and it has a lot more growing to go. Please ...I beg you..do not attempt to cut your LTA in half..it will definitely die. The only anemones.. that I know of.. that reproduce asexually is btas, magnificas, and some haddoni(but this rarely happens with the haddoni).

Here is a pic of my purple LTA with its pink skunk.

picture2030718ki2.jpg

Edited by sea_nacl_h2o