Leopard wrasse injury

OU12004

Probably just cut itself while burrowing into the sand. I'd just keep an eye on it and see if it heals naturally.

If it starts looking infected, I'd treat with an antibiotic such as Furan 2 or something similar. There are many options.

The hardest thing would be catching it for treatment though in a hospital tank. My best advice is to spook it into the sand. Then take two nets on either side of that spot and slowly close in on it until it pops out of the sand into a net.

Normally I like to leave a tupperware container full of sand in the tank for it to dive into but since you're treating with medication, I'd forgo the sand as it can absorb medication and lower its effectiveness. A couple of PVC fittings will have to do for shelter in this case if treatment is needed.

Thanks, she hung out in the trap last time I had it set up for another fish, so I may be able to catch her but I would be worried about stress and her diet if I put her in a clean tank, she picks off of the rocks almost all day. Can I treat her and release her back into the display and will corals be affected by the Furan 2?

Thanks, she hung out in the trap last time I had it set up for another fish, so I may be able to catch her but I would be worried about stress and her diet if I put her in a clean tank, she picks off of the rocks almost all day. Can I treat her and release her back into the display and will corals be affected by the Furan 2?

Most bacterial treatments are at least 4 days in duration. I'd just do the wait and see approach and see if it heals on its own first.

Archived