Pectinia

Christyef

Morning! Anyone have any experience w/ pectinia? I got one about a month ago and it seems to be receding from its skeleton. Do they require any special care? I've tried to research on-line and keep coming up w/ the same basic stuff; not a lot of light and good flow, but not too much. It was doing great the first few days (tentacles at night), but I haven't seen those in a week or so. The light in my picture looks blinding, but it doesn't look that bright to my eyes.... Maybe it is!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not currently have a Pectina (Cabbage or Cup Coral) But this LPS coral is one of the more difficult large polyp stony corals to keep successfully over a long period of time. They do require moderate lighting best kept under VHO T-5 lighting about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. Moderate water flow with good water quality and major elements as you would keep for SPS corals. They require good amounts of nutrition and benefit from regular feedings of small foods like found in Coral Frenzy . So treat it like you would SPS corals that require moderate lighting. Maybe it is bleaching because it is adjusting to the new light type. What kind of lighting was it under before and now. Other SPS corals in the tank doing well then your water quality is OK. If you have no SPS then this LPS may indicate high phosphates or nitrates. Remember this coral is best kept under SPS conditions. Don't give up on it as it may adjust

Good Luck

Andre' .

I have mine for about 12 years. It's normally very puffy and feeding tentacles come out at night. When I had T5 lights I kept it in the upper half of the tank. With led I now keep it in the sand. You don't mention your water parameters but they need to be so solid. How are your other corals doing?

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Water has been good. I've been checking my water w/ the API kit. To back up my readings, the guys at nikos have also checked...... All parameters are good. It was my light. [emoji53] I had a cheap LED. Now I have a t5 fixture, but afraid it's too late for the pectinia [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water has been good. I've been checking my water w/ the API kit. To back up my readings, the guys at nikos have also checked...... All parameters are good. It was my light. [emoji53] I had a cheap LED. Now I have a t5 fixture, but afraid it's too late for the pectinia [emoji22]

You'd be surprised how well some corals recover. What light were you using before? Pectinias usually don't need a ton of light.

Being a "noob", I ordered a $20 led from Amazon. Fish were great, but almost every coral I put in my tank withered away. I killed gsp and Xenia! [emoji33][emoji6]. Hopefully my new light will fix that problem

Looks like some of the mouths are still alive and attached. It may still make it if you leave it in the main tank.

If you think it's too far gone, then I'd remove it entirely and dry it out in the sun. Otherwise, as it decomposes in your sump, it'll cause a nutrient spike in your tank and those usually cause an algal bloom.

Archived