Water circulation

4R00P3R

general flow & turnover rates for ALL types of corals  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have heard so many opinions about circulation. Answer the polls and give your 2 cents.

I have a mag12 for "turnover", and 3 koralia 4s and a maxijet 12 for flow in my 105g. I'm having a problem with the koralias. The fools designed it with a circular suction cup and magnet so it turns with gravity when I try to position it with the pump angled at all sideways. I get home always to find it pointing down.

:(

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a simple and inexpensive solution?

I have four K4's and they don't move unless I mess with the cord.

As for this poll, I think it depends on what you are keeping but for the average reef I think you should push as much water through your sump as your skimmer can process, unless you are using the return pump for your flow in the tank. For circulation in the tank (non filtering) I think you should have as much as you can get. I wouldn't add a pump just to add it, but if you have any dead spots adding more circulation can only help and I think you have to keep the pumps in scale with your tank. Adding 4 Koralia 4's to a 29g for instance would fit fine, but would probably just create a whirlpool.

In my 135g I have a Rio2100 for the return pump (roughly 300 gph return), and four Koralia 4's for in tank circulation. I actually have 5 of the K4's, I just haven't figured out how to squeeze the fifth one in there yet. :( I am guessing I have about 30x turnover in the tank, maybe 35x depending on what flow numbers you believe for the Koralias.

Agree with James on not using your return. I recently jumped off the Koralia bandwagon. No real problems I just didn't like their flow pattern or their lack of aim ability like I would like. I got a couple maxi-jet mods that I am pretty happy with. They move a ton of water at a low watt usage with a more wide angle flow pattern.

I have tried cleaning the glass under the suction cups, but havent tried cleaning the suction cups themselves. The ball joints are tight; it's the suction cups that are moving. I'm not sure what to use to clean them exactly. Possibly rubbing alcohol or something?