Time to start dosing?

Jimbo662

I've been dosing mag over the last couple of weeks and it seems to be working. I just tested alk and calc...they're showing low. I last tested alk a little over two weeks ago and it was at 136 ppm. I realized the testing solution had expired over two years ago!!! Just got a new bottle and tested at 113 ppm which according to charts I've seen online is a little low. Calcium was 370 and has dropped to 330 in two weeks. I am starting to see coraline growing an everything now. Should I look at dosing to bring the two up or start with larger water changes? I have been doing 5 gal about every other day while my QT tank has been set up.

Kalkwasser is another option if you aren't burning through alk and Ca very fast. Its also pretty cheap compared to buying dosing pumps.

I was able to use kalk to keep up until I was burning around 1.5 dKH a day of alk. After that the pH swings become a little much and regular 2part dosing is needed. You will probably still have to dose Mg once in awhile, kalk doesn't help with that.

Archived