Gold stripe help

FrankenBakon

Hey everyone I'm usually pretty good with Google and don't have to ask too many questions but I'm reaching out to you guys for real world experience and help :-)

I recently purchased a very large RBTA for my 150, I subsequently decided to get a "pair" of Gold Stripe Maroon Clowns and this is where my issue comes in, I know that maroons are aggressive and familiar with clarki and percula pairing but these 2 just don't seem to want to give it a go. Both are the same size and one is much more aggressive than the other which I assumed would be the female but after 2 days the aggressive one is in the nem and the shy guy is on the other side of the tank(6 ft away) hovering by the overflow looking sad and pitiful lol

I read online that if they lock lips it's for sure 2 females and they did that for like 5 seconds one time but not that I've seen since. Any truth to this?

Additional questions, am I right to assume the aggressor is a female? I've never seen smaller

Clowns in any LFS, should I look for a larger or smaller one if I want to end up with a pair? Should I leave them both in the 150 since they aren't fighting and see how it Plays out?

I'm gonna try to upload. Lil video I got yesterday of the shy guy trying to inch closer to the nem

How large are the clowns?

Not an expert by any means, but either sounds like they can't figure out which one is actually dominant or you have 2 females. Does the one in the nem keep going after the other, or is she leaving the other one alone in the corner?

Just speaking personally, when I accidentally added 2 females about 2 years ago, the more dominant one would not leave the other alone at all. Literally she would have pestered the new one to death if I hadn't intervened. The new one had barely any fins left, but she did make a full recovery eventually.

They are very small, maybe a 1/2 inch or so but they both have started getting their yellow bars which i read multiple times doesnt happen till after a year old so i dunno. the one in the nem couldnt care less unless the other one wants to get INTO the anemone.

still trying to edit the video, says its too big to upload

If they're only half an inch then you have a long way to go. In the past it has taken my pairs a month or two to start figuring the order out. As long as you don't see physical damage then you're okay. Getting them to host is another story entirely! I've tried several tricks and none of them worked. The best bet is to put your anemone into a spaghetti strainer with the clowns.

In general when you get clowns you don't want to get the same size. They'll fight to establish dominance to see who wins (gets to be the female). I've had clowns nearly kill each other doing so, and then ultimately pairing up after. It's a painful if not deadly process to watch. To avoid it you can get fish of different sizes, then the larger almost always wins with very little fight.

And yeah, you picked probably the most aggressive clown I know (maroon gold stripe), so you're looking at worst case. I ultimately got rid of my clarkii's because it wasn't safe to put my hand in the tank. They would literally draw blood when they bit me.

I have a pair of gold stripe maroons and I love them for the most part.

They aren't aggressive, they just like to sweep/mess up the sand around their anemone if it gets too close to the sand. So they end up burying things I put on the sand bed.

But turns out my Red Tail trigger decided to start digging himself a cave to sleep in at night, so I have double the problems.

We figure my pair is at least 9 years old. I've had them for 6 years or so, and my Bro John had them for a couple years before that, and purchased them as adults.

My female is ~ 4-5" and my male is tiny around around 2-2.5".

I wouldn't trade them for anything. I love their colors VS the normal orange and white. I really dislike the designer clowns, never found any of them appealing.

post-1199-0-67295100-1449930865_thumb.jp

I have a pair of gold stripe maroons and I love them for the most part.

They aren't aggressive, they just like to sweep/mess up the sand around their anemone if it gets too close to the sand. So they end up burying things I put on the sand bed.

But turns out my Red Tail trigger decided to start digging himself a cave to sleep in at night, so I have double the problems.

We figure my pair is at least 9 years old. I've had them for 6 years or so, and my Bro John had them for a couple years before that, and purchased them as adults.

My female is ~ 4-5" and my male is tiny around around 2-2.5".

I wouldn't trade them for anything. I love their colors VS the normal orange and white. I really dislike the designer clowns, never found any of them appealing.

attachicon.gifmaroooners.jpg

I really liked my snowflake even if he was psychotic. (Did you ever find a new home for him oOzarka?

Sorry to hear about your loss. I was the original owner of the maroons that oozarkawater currently owns and went through the process of pairing them.

Originally I made the same mistake you did in buying two clowns of the same size, didn't work out too well. I ended up buying a smaller maroon clown and building a tank with a clear acrylic divider that allowed water to flow between the two sides, but not the clowns to. It's been years since they paired, but I think it took about a week for the smaller clown to show clear signs of submission to the other clown. When I released them together they were compatible with a few bites by the female just to insure the smaller clown knew his place. It's been happily ever after in Oozarkawater's tank ever since.

And for the record I paired the clowns back in 2004, so they're probably 12 years old at least. If you take care of these guys, they'll last a good long time. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your loss. I was the original owner of the maroons that oozarkawater currently owns and went through the process of pairing them.

Originally I made the same mistake you did in buying two clowns of the same size, didn't work out too well. I ended up buying a smaller maroon clown and building a tank with a clear acrylic divider that allowed water to flow between the two sides, but not the clowns to. It's been years since they paired, but I think it took about a week for the smaller clown to show clear signs of submission to the other clown and when I released them together they were compatible with a few bites by the female just to insure the smaller clown know his place. It's been happily ever after in Oozarkawater's tank ever since.

And for the record I paired the clowns back in 2004, so they're probably 12 years old at least. If you take care of these guys, they'll last a good long time. Good luck!!

Did you take that helpful tip from Gig'ems Official Guide to Dating? [emoji23]

Originally I made the same mistake you did in buying two clowns of the same size, didn't work out too well. I ended up buying a smaller maroon clown and building a tank with a clear acrylic divider that allowed water to flow between the two sides, but not the clowns to. It's been years since they paired, but I think it took about a week for the smaller clown to show clear signs of submission to the other clown and when I released them together they were compatible with a few bites by the female just to insure the smaller clown know his place. It's been happily ever after in Oozarkawater's tank ever since.

Did you take that helpful tip from Gig'ems Official Guide to Dating? [emoji23]
Hasn't failed me yet! Yours now for 5 easy payments of $9.95

Well sadly one of them Passed :-( I'll have to find a larger one to try and pair them up

I pmd you. I have another maroon that may work for you.
Are you talking about that one that lives in your sump? If so that is a great looking fish.

Archived