moon light

Entropy

I put together a little moon light a couple of nights ago and I really like it. I used a $1.49 led night light from Wallyworld. I plugged it into an extension cord and mounted it to the canopy above the center brace (12" wide piece of glass :( ). It has a dusk to dawn sensor so when the lights go out it automatically comes on, but I still hooked it to my RK2 to turn it off at midnight. I basically get two hours of almost dark but enough to see by before it goes completely dark.

Anyway for under $2 (assuming you have an extension cord) it seemed like a nice touch. :D I will try to get a pic tomorrow night after my stupid camera battery charges.

The LED I found just happened to be 470nm and I didn't check the PAR levels at all depths, but at the bottom of my 24" 135g the reading was about 900 PPFD which I thought was pretty good considering it uses only 1 watt. The good news is I got to throw away the halides and the T5's. The bad news is the little LED was so bright it bleached everything in the tank, melted the walls to my front room, and burned my front yard. Oh well I didn't like mowing it anyway. :(