Green spotted puffer in a reef tank?

tennisjad3

I picked up a small green spotted puffer that had been acclimated to living in saltwater and threw him in my small 3 gallon reef by himself. He's pretty aggressive and loves trying to chomp his way through the glass, but the question I had is whether or not he will go after coral?

He accidently bit a head of my hammer coral during his first feeding, but immediately spit it out and swam away. I'm thinking he confused it with some floating food.

Puffer's have to continually chew to keep their beaks from growing (they're like rodents that way). Don't expect any inverts like snails or crabs to be safe, and I would expect him to find other things to chew on if he's bored.

Based on my experience with FW puffers, they really don't care what they try to eat, be it snails, actual food, inverts, fingers, or other fish. I haven't kept them with coral, but it wouldn't surprise me the slightest if he tested coral for edibility until there wasn't any coral left to try.

Based on my experience with FW puffers, they really don't care what they try to eat, be it snails, actual food, inverts, fingers, or other fish. I haven't kept them with coral, but it wouldn't surprise me the slightest if he tested coral for edibility until there wasn't any coral left to try.

Puffer's have to continually chew to keep their beaks from growing (they're like rodents that way). Don't expect any inverts like snails or crabs to be safe, and I would expect him to find other things to chew on if he's bored.

Well I'll keep an eye out then. Out of curiosity would a small saltwater toby puffer try to eat coral as well, or are they generally safer?

Well I'll keep an eye out then. Out of curiosity would a small saltwater toby puffer try to eat coral as well, or are they generally safer?

They and any other canthigaster puffer are about as safe as they come which also include blue spotted and valentini. Typically they will be ok with anything that is already in the tank, except very small snails like colonistas, but once they're in the tank it may be difficult to add any snails, shrimp, or other inverts. Not super common for them to start eating coral, but they're a puffer so any invert could potentially become food. From what I've seen they don't mindlessly taste everything in the tank like many FW puffers tend to do.

Archived