Vermetid Snail Outbreak

BornToHula

I have always had a small problem with vermetid snails in my tank. Up until now I had been keeping them fairly in control, when one popped up I would just remove it if possible, if not I would cover it in epoxy until it died. When they popped up they were always the large tubes, half an inch to an inch. Like this (not my picture):

V9wnzFM.jpg

Now all the sudden I have a whole bunch of little tiny black vermetid snails popping up on my rocks everywhere. They still shoot out their web stuff, they are just way smaller (the snail itself, not the webbing). They are far too small and numerous to remove or kill one by one. I will try and get a picture of them tonight.

Is there a way to make these guys die off? I was thinking of adding adding filter socks to try and starve them out, but my plumbing isn't really set up for socks. I can re-plumb things as a last resort.

I literally have vermetids attached to the back of baby Nassarius Snails...I have no idea how they survive, little buggers. I've read a lot of anecdotal stories of people having success with a melanurus wrasse eating them, along with any thing else that sticks off a rock.

I wanted the biodiversity of the tube warms, and feather dusters too much in my current tank...but I'm definitely going to have a melanurus in my next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the Halichoeres wrasses eat them so you have many choices. I've kept several of the family and haven't had problems with any of them. Yellow and Green Coris Wrasses seem to be favored by other hobbyists to protect corals in frag tanks.

Stay away from Thalassoma wrasses. Most are aggressive and don't adapt well to captivity. Also stay away from Anampsas wrasses. They will also eat the snails but they wither away like Pencil wrasses. Both species are known to die unexpectedly after doing well for weeks.

All of the Halichoeres wrasses eat them so you have many choices. I've kept several of the family and haven't had problems with any of them. Yellow and Green Coris Wrasses seem to be favored by other hobbyists to protect corals in frag tanks.

Stay away from Thalassoma wrasses. Most are aggressive and don't adapt well to captivity. Also stay away from Anampsas wrasses. They will also eat the snails but they wither away like Pencil wrasses. Both species are known to die unexpectedly after doing well for weeks.

Thanks for the info!

Archived