Need Advice on Calcium Reactors

Kevin S.

So I'm looking to switch from a dosing pump to a calcium reactor as I am currently dosing around 500 ml a day of both calcium and soda ash. The cost is getting fairly high and causing a few problems in the tank such as raised salinity and precipitant forming on the glass, as I am dosing directly in the main tank in a high flow area. Im currently using BRS additives.

This is a 125 with a large amount of SPS, LPS and a clam. I also have 55 gallon sump also.

I was wanting to know your opinions on a calcium reactor you have run and have experience with that is somewhat easy to use and not temperamental. As you know this is a fairly large purchase and I don't want to regret it. I have been looking at the Aquamaxx S1 and the Vertex 6D looks good to, but its getting up there in price as I still need a PH controller, regulator and tank.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks! grin.png

There's generally not much to calcium reactors. Make sure they use a very reliable pump. Other than that, it's pretty much just an acrylic tube, so I don't really know there's going to be that much variance. The things that will make a big difference are the pump (as already noted), your regulator / solenoid, needle valve, and controller. I've already gone through 1 regulator / solenoid because I bought a cheapo. If you have the coin, drop it on this and be done.

I suppose some other possible things to note would be how you open it up to refill media - if you have to take off a bunch of bolts or something it may be a pain... My Reef Octopus just has a simple screw top lid with an o-ring so it's super simple.

Thanks I will look at the Geos. As far as they are rated, is it like a skimmer where you want to buy one that is rated for a larger tank than you have?

The Geo 618 is rated for a 350g where as the 418 is rated for 125g.

You might outgrow the 418. Even though a 612 is said to be good for a 200 gallon, I would say that would be a mixed reef that isn't sps intensive. Depends on what you want to keep. Going up a size to the 612 is probably better, but going up two sizes may not be necessary.

I've run the Korallin C1502, a no-name brand CaRX (probably an old PM CaRX), a Deltec P601S, and a MTC Procal CaRX. By far and away my favorite is the MTC Procal. It doesn't require a feed pump, has a secondary chamber to increase pH, has a flow meter, a needle valve for effluent control, and a pressure gauge to read reactor pressure.

My only complaint is it doesn't have a pH port for my probe but one of these on the effluent line with some PVC will do the same thing.

The Korallin ran brilliantly but was highly overrated by the manufacturer for the size tank it could handle. My 125-gallon was SPS heavy and it barely kept up, that's with a 400 gallon rating from the manufacturer. I think he could handle 100 gallons heavily stocked.

The no-name brand CaRX worked like a charm, my only complaint was it was a little undersized for my 215 gallon SPS heavy tank and I had to fill about 3" of media every month to keep up.

The Deltec is a POS in my opinion. I really don't understand how it was so touted back in the day but it couldn't keep a stable effluent to save its life. I think I'll use some concepts from the MTC and modify the Deltec to function better. It leaked as well and had to heavily silicone and use grease on the o-rings, then pray to the CaRX gods to keep it from leaking.

Like Dan said though, as long as it can keep a stable effluent, it's just really an acrylic tube. The carbon doser regulator he mentioned is amazing. I have one myself and wouldn't run another reactor without it.

Geo's have great reputations but I've never owned one and cannot speak about it.

With ratings, as long as it is rated enough for your tank, you're good to go. If it's rated higher, then just run less media or it just means you'll have to refill it less often. Don't get one rated lower obviously.

I believe Niko's has a Aquamaxx CaRX sitting in their used equipment room somewhere. I'd hit them up if that's the one you're interested in.

George at Geo's is very responsive to emails. You might want to just ping him and get his recommendation on size. You can contact him through his site: geosreef.com

He recommended a 618 for my upcoming 150 gallon build.

+1 Calcium reactors are rated based on the circulation pump and the media chamber; the larger the chamber the higher the rating. Having a larger chamber allows you to go longer in between replacing media. As far as I know there is no other benefit to the larger chamber.

I had a pretty bad experience running a CaRx without an aquarium controller and lost my entire tank. The pH controller will help you dial in the effluent, but if there is a problem it won't prevent losses. In my case, the solenoid went out and dumped a bunch of gas into the tank lowering the pH to toxic levels.

A lot of members that I have seen run the Korallin reactor. The whole kit with gas tank sells for about $200-250 on the classifieds, which is considerably cheaper than new but still an investment. There is also a DIY reactor in our DIY section that several members have run. It costs about $100 to make, not including the gas tank.

I was in between a geo 618 and an octopus CR140 and went with an octopus which I was able to get for about half the price as the geo. The 2 are very similar in design, the geo uses a better quality eheim pump but the octopus has a slightly more compact footprint. I already had a 10# CO2 canister and controller from my FW tank.

It's now running completely off an Apex with a second PH probe. Has been for the most part zero maintenance post-setup except for some plumbing issues that were self inflicted.

Also, if whatever you get takes a normal 1/4 PEX / RO tubing, these aquamedic tees work great for feeding directly off a return pump instead of using a dedicated pump for the Rx. They come in 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4.

21-TN-zNa-L.jpg

Having a larger chamber allows you to go longer in between replacing media. As far as I know there is no other benefit to the larger chamber.

Having a larger chamber allows more media to be in contact with the C02. Therefor increasing the amount of alkalinity put back.

A full 4" chamber running at 6.8ph will disolve less media putting back less alk in mg/gallon of effluent then a full 6" chamber of same height running at the same parameters.

IMO a geo 612 would do you fine, their ratings are very realistic. A 618 is going to be getting a bit big for a 125. Unless you are heavy sps or a huge 10+ clam.

Thank you guys for all the comments! Lots to think about.

Do you feel that using a calcium reactor provides a more natural way of dosing and gives you better results than using a dosing system? As in it also provides trace elements too and does not raise salinity?

Do you feel that using a calcium reactor provides a more natural way of dosing and gives you better results than using a dosing system? As in it also provides trace elements too and does not raise salinity?

More natural way. Theoretically. You are dissolving coral skeletons to put back elements for coral to build skeletons.

Better results. Eh. Each dosing system has its pros and cons. I wouldn't say a Carx is better or worse just different.

I think the common wisdom is that a CaRX is more economical in a larger system with more corals. I use two part dosing on my 32 gallon and it works just fine. I'm comfortable enough with it that I would have no technical issue with using it on a larger tank, but it would be expensive. I'll be switching to CaRX for my new 150 build.

After some research and help from a fellow reefer I believe the problem is I have a ionic imbalance and am dosing way more than I should for my tank size. I may start a new thread on this issue.

I still will be looking into reactors in the future though.

Thanks

"perfectly accurate (from 4 bubbles per second (240 per minute) down to 1 bubble per 10 seconds. (Count can NEVER vary more than 1/1000th of a second!)" -- how does that not burn out faster than a typical solenoid?

Archived