Hello & Introduction

JWreck

Howdy folks,

I tried to talk my wife into getting a dog, and we settled on a fish. It's not in my nature to do anything halfway, so I've finally got her on-board with a full reef tank setup.

I've been lurking on here for a month or so now, and finally stopped in to say hi. I'm completely new to any kind of fish or reef keeping, and I've just started collecting components. The forum has been a great resource so far...I've bought a 40 breeder from a member and picking up a sump/skimmer this week from another.

I'm still looking to buy a return pump and lights (oh the agony of shopping for lights).

It's going slowly, but my plan is to have water in the tank by the end of the year. Although it would be nice to have something pretty to look at while I piece it all together, I'm OK taking it slow as I'm really enjoying learning about the different livestock and all of the environmental needs of everything. Lots of reading, lots of opinions but lots of good information!

Looking forward to learning more and seeing everyone else's progress.

-Josh

I'd buy your pumps new... you never know how long a pump has been used, or if any regular maint was performed on them. Its the main lifeforce in your tank. (this is coming from mr frugal). Focus on your initial cycle and maintain your water parameters. once you are set, start w/ a "test" fish. I tend to use green chromis, they are usually hearty as #$%^, so if he doesn't stick around, you have something off. also, if you plan on relying on your skimmer heavily, have a replacement impeller/magnet handy... I've found those go out the most for me (seeing as they are working as intended and sucking up crap *lol*) If you are paranoid (like you should be with larger tanks) have a backup main pump ready! (i use mine for water changes, not a complete "waste").

re: lighting... this can be a passive or religious argument. Check out BRS's recent videos about all types of lighting, pick one you wanna try, run with it. Remember, every type has a burn-in period and at a point they lose their color/intensity (how long depends on which type you end up with). Its lots of research.... but learning is half the battle. there is definitely more than meets the eye.... where did i go all transformers?

Welcome!!

I'd buy your pumps new... you never know how long a pump has been used, or if any regular maint was performed on them. Its the main lifeforce in your tank. (this is coming from mr frugal). Focus on your initial cycle and maintain your water parameters. once you are set, start w/ a "test" fish. I tend to use green chromis, they are usually hearty as #$%^, so if he doesn't stick around, you have something off. also, if you plan on relying on your skimmer heavily, have a replacement impeller/magnet handy... I've found those go out the most for me (seeing as they are working as intended and sucking up crap *lol*) If you are paranoid (like you should be with larger tanks) have a backup main pump ready! (i use mine for water changes, not a complete "waste").re: lighting... this can be a passive or religious argument. Check out BRS's recent videos about all types of lighting, pick one you wanna try, run with it. Remember, every type has a burn-in period and at a point they lose their color/intensity (how long depends on which type you end up with). Its lots of research.... but learning is half the battle. there is definitely more than meets the eye.... where did i go all transformers?Welcome!!

On the pump, that's what I had planned to do (buy new). Was thinking a mag 7 or 9 should get decent flow based on my return line length and tank size.

I'll check out the videos, thanks!

i have a mag powering my uv/nitrate sponge... when i cleaned all my pumps this weekend, that was the most difficult. the eheim was the easiest. If i didnt start out w/ decent eheim's and semi-meh rio's, i probably would have used a jaebo DC plumbed externally w/ a manifold for all my stuff.... someday, someday.

Eheim or tunzes on pumps. Quietest and have given me the least problems over the last 10 years. Quiet ones are anything but quiet.

Lighting. Good luck :) So many choices. I will say my first venture into leds and have had to turn them down so much it looks like my tank is at dusk during the 'bright' period. I lost some corals in the center I am guessing due to too much par/light. :( I am not loving the not so bright, not so sunlightish type look that I am seeing with them.

Hi Josh! I too am new to the site, but I do have a few years reefing experience. My main advice would be do exactly what you're doing. Read and learn from the community and don't be afraid to ask questions; we were all beginners at some point!

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome. My stand is being built as I write this (my father does custom wood work) and I cannot wait to get it so I can start putting everything together. At this point, I'm trying to find quality live rock that isn't $9 a pound from a LFS...so if anyone sees any, let me know. smile.png

Gonna need some pictures of that stand ...

Oh I didn't ask for it to be anything spectacular, plus only a 40g breeder is going on it. But I'm happy to post pictures of it, I'll make a build thread once I get it all together. It'll probably be framed in solid wood, but he does a lot of reclaimed woodworking and so I expect that the exterior is reclaimed wood of sorts. Our entertainment center and coffee table in the living room are both made from a barn in east TX that is over 100 years old.

I just appreciate the fact that they look nice. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived