Setting up an RO/DI

pabloescolar

Hey all,

I got a used Spectrapure 90 GPD unit this weekend. I spent some time last night figuring out how it works and evaluating the condition of the filtration units that came in it.

What are y'alls pro tips for setting it up? Unfortunately I'll have to run mine outside, but it can't be permanent due to freezes through winter. Anyone have theirs set up like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tip #1: get a TDS meter. check it often.

Do you have an outside spigot that shares a wall with your garage? odds are you may. measure where this is on the inside of the wall. tap into the copper line feeding that outside spigot with a saddle valve http://amzn.com/B008E5CDIUa couple inches over, drill a 1/4-3/8 from inside to outside for your waste water (get a long bit, harbor fright has a decent set of mortar bits). Mount to wall, done. once its in your garage, possibilities are endless.... buy a pair of 55gal drums off CL for like 20$ each and end up with your own reserve water system: http://bit.ly/1HAxcHB

It would not be ideal outside, especially for the winter. The small RO/DI lines can freeze easily and your efficiency will be reduced with the lower temperatures causing you to make water at a much slower rate than your unit is rated.

If it's impossible to fit it under the sink like most do, I'd see if you can just have the lines setup and remove the unit when not using it for storage. Then when you need some water, just plug the water line in and start making water again. Kind of a temporary setup with the lines already plumbed. My best analogy is like pulling out your blender to make smoothies and then putting it back up when done.

If there is no other option, I'd just take a stroll through Ikea and buy some sort of ready made cabinet to put it in outside or maybe a plastic storage tote of some sort with holes drilled through it with some insulation in it as well.

If you do the outside sheltered route (via macgyvery or ikea).... there is a really easy way to keep it warm... get an old shoplight w/ a 60watt bulb. make sure it wont catch anything on fire.. instant heat src.... with the side effect of being able to see things better.

1. Great tip on the barrels, I didn't realize they were so abundant on Craigslist.

2. Yeah, I definitely didn't plan on leaving it outside, but was thinking I would have to run it outside. Efficiency loss would suck bad.

3. Running a line out the window from under the sink to a barrel seems like a solid idea. Might also consider the outdoor structure with a bit of heat or a combination of the two.

Thanks everybody for jumping on with good advice.

I have mine setup in a downstairs bathroom when I need it, because I haven't cleaned up the garage enough to build an actual station.

I just wheel in my Brute, plug in my RO line to the t-spigot I installed on the toilet, and I have it drain directly into the toilet bowl.

post-1199-0-81112800-1448911472_thumb.jp

post-1199-0-81269100-1448911405_thumb.jp

if you ever come across a metal fitting to replace that plastic one.. do it. think of the flooring and headaches. $15 investment smile.png

I looked locally and could never find one. Sure I could order online, but meh.

If something does happen and I get to flood the downstairs, NEW FLOORING!

Alright, question for those of you that studied something other than the humanities in college. (I'm uselessly undereducated for the hobby). If I put a 40+ gallon barrel outside and kept it mostly full, filled from inside the house, wouldn't it take sustained below freezing temperatures, uncharacteristic for this part of Texas, to freeze it through and crack the barrel? Like, more than just an overnight freeze. I know there's a relativity here to how cold for how long, just trying to think about what my wiggle room is.

you more than likely want a pump in there moving the water around so it doesnt stagnant. that creates heat. drop in another heater. get some of that reflective bubblewrap insulation too.

Water freezes regardless of quantity. the length of the freeze is what you need to worry about. a couple hours below freezing... probably nothing, 2-3 weeks? whole barrel is solid ice (mebbe less, there are formulas out there factoring in volume and dimensions).

Not sure if I missed this somewhere but why are you needing to make and store a lot of water? I'm in an apartment and hung my filter on the wall next to my washer/dryer closet and ran the supply / drain line under the door...luckily it's in the back corner of the kitchen so it's out of the way. I just make water when I need it.

It's a time and space thing. Bigger barrel means less time attending it, and I don't have room inside to occupy with multiple buckets or a large barrel. Well, not room that my girlfriend wouldn't begrudge.

I'm not sure what your laundry room situation is, but I was able to stack my washer and dryer. That immediately bought me enough room to put both an RO container and a Brute trash can for saltwater mixing. My RODI hangs on the wall and is fed from the washing machine cold water line. Instant space and connections, plus it's in heated area.

Unfortunately the laundry room won't be an option. I think at the moment my plan is a barrel outside the kitchen, with a 300W heater that I'll only turn on during potential freezes, a small circulation pump, unit under the sink, and a float switch for lovely unattended fill ups. That should solve my problem without sacrificing efficiency to the cold, or risking a barrel rupture if there's a three day freeze. We'll see how it goes.

eh. not completely. you would need to heatwrap the water line in and out and also insulate them. at the point, your float valve might freeze and crack, and then you have flowing water. i'd go w/ a magnetic float, put a 12/24DC ball valve inside which the float breaks the circuit on to close. obviously, dont leave the water to the unit on all the time, just when you get low enough for a larger refill run (re: TDS creep).

Glad you posted this topic. I just picked up an RO/DI system and have been thinking about how to set it all up.

I have an old trash compacter that has never worked right next to my kitchen sink, so I think I can pull that out and run the lines through the cabinet wall. For top-off water I can put a 5gal jug in there no problem, but for mixing salt, I don't think I can get a ~25gal container in there. Might have to run a longer line for salt mixing outside the kitchen (not a lot of room).

I would suggest to install the bathroom option anyhow that you can just plug your ro/di into if you need it. When it is cold for a week or more, and you may need water, making it outside isn't a good option. I think filters aren't as efficient, and the cold makes them prematurely get used up. I keep mine in a small bathroom under the sink, and only hook the tubing up when I need it to the john gueset easy push fitting by the toilet and a bucket in the bathtub, snaking it along the cabinet and not even taking it out from the cabinet anymore. I need to rig a float switch on a bucket though as I always forget about it.

Also, never leave it outside if it starts to get cold at all. It will be that night, that you forget it, and bam... busted plastic. Lesson learned the hard way :) Once upon a time, I had to make water outside.

• 3 weeks later...

Stick it all under the sink then. fresh water: http://amzn.com/B015HKFEQC

Bought this and it's too big for my plumbing - 1/4" maybe?

ccdff1ae7219276a4b33a6b1dbec221f.jpg

Any suggestions? This maybe? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reverse-Osmosis-Filter-Feed-Water-Adapter-Ball-valve-1-4-compression-/130763986094 edit: nope, that looks like 1/2" too...

Archived