New Tank December 20th!

Sascha D.

It looks like they used sandwiched 1x2's. I'm guessing they use this method on all of their stands to save on materials. Its a common practice in framing.

They warranty their tanks for six months if you use their stand. Its not a great warranty, but the stand must be able to hold the weight if they warranty it. The total weight on the stand is 600 tank plus 2400 for the water.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity, are you going with LEDs, t5, or metal halides?

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Ocean Revive S026 leds is what he used for the last build. I'm using the digital versions, the Ocean Revive T247s.

Just out of curiosity, are you going with LEDs, t5, or metal halides?

Ocean Revive S026 leds is what he used for the last build. I'm using the digital versions, the Ocean Revive T247s.
I'm also using the t247.

I've been working on the tank all weekend. Its getting exiting!

First the good stuff. I got all of the plumbing done and water tested the aquarium. No leaks! Okay, Okay, one of the bulkheads was loose, but nothing major. I originally wanted a 60" sump but I haven't been able to find one the last month. The new plan is for a 72" sump. I used a brute tote for the water test, but I won't be able to get salty without a sump.

There were two problems that surfaced today. First, the tank isn't level. It probably wouldn't affect anything using a standard Durso pipe, but the Calfo isn't balanced because of it. As a result, the water is entering from the right side of the tank only. That leads me into the other problem. The manufacturer cut the blue overflow cover as if they were making a weir without the teeth. The cover extends higher than the glass overflow and the water drains over the glass instead of the acrylic. If I leave it like this then the surface of the water won't overflow into the sump. I'm going to have to cut about half an inch off of the overflow cover down the entire length. Anyone have a table saw? doh.gif

post-2552-0-02938800-1453080942_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-40624000-1453080441_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-83812100-1453080957_thumb.jp

Yes I have a table saw and a map torch for flame polishing. Shoot me a pm.

It's going to be critical that you get that tank level for the overflow to work properly. I don't have an 8' level but I do have a 6' aluminum that I just had checked.

when cut down, you still have a gap b/w glass and overflow cover so water still can flow through that. I have the exact same issue with my tank, may be I just silicon the cover to overflow box to seal out any water flow in between. Also, I used the paint stirrer sticks from hd or lowe (for free) to level out my tank, they have two sizes and you can stack them if needed. Works great and free.

Thanks for the suggestions. I leveled the tank out earlier this week using composite shims. It was a bit low on the right side and that was easier to fix than I had originally thought. A friend helped me router out the front of the overflow cover equal with the glass overflow box. It's okay if some water overflows from in between the box and the cover, as long as the majority of the water skims from the surface. Last night I painted the inside of the stand. I didn't have enough time before the kids bedtime, but I plan to finish tonight.

The next steps are to drill the liverock, add sand, and then add salt water. Here's my timeline:

• Feb 1 - Tank up and running
  • Feb 1 - 7 - Seed the tank with micro fauna
  • April 1 - Fish go into quarantine
  • April 21 - First fish will go into the tank
  • May 14 - First corals

I forgot to mention that I still haven't found a sump! I can get the rocks and the sand into the tank, but can't go beyond that. The silicone needs a week to cure so I'll have to find one this weekend if I'm going to meet my timeline. I'll need to find some more rock somewhere, hopefully without pests!

Nice plan! Just some thoughts. I'd go 30 days minimum for fish QT but that's just me. You're the fish guy... I'll step back into my coral hole now as that's all I know. I'd also run with dry rock personally to start but there are many schools of thought on that.

You know there's no such thing as a good update without pictures right? poke.gif

Just to be clear, this isn't a build thread. I'm just a weird little guy that updated a build thread for too long. Old habits die hard.

Truthfully, I want to do a build thread. I think they're fun and you can look back at the things you've done and where you were. Someone once told me that our posts here will help people that we'll never see or know.You won't always know every person that has benefited from your post, but that doesn't make the impact any less. Unfortunately, I've had enough of being lectured by some guy who read an online article written by someone unqualified to begin with. This hobby was founded and built by hobbyists who innovate and share experiences and ideas with each other. That is the part that I love and want to continue. The person to person, friend to friend, interaction is what makes the hobby worth doing. I know, without a doubt, that I wouldn't be in the hobby if the only interaction I had was at the fish store or an online vendor.

Nice plan! Just some thoughts. I'd go 30 days minimum for fish QT but that's just me. You're the fish guy... I'll step back into my coral hole now as that's all I know. I'd also run with dry rock personally to start but there are many schools of thought on that.

You know there's no such thing as a good update without pictures right? poke.gif

I've been on the fence about using acid on the rocks that I currently have. Any idea how to kill Valonia sp. spores without it? The dry rock that I've seen is around $2 per pound with free shipping. If I'm going to do acid anyway, then it wouldn't hurt to try and buy rock locally and do it all at once.

Just to be clear, this isn't a build thread. I'm just a weird little guy that updated a build thread for too long. Old habits die hard.

Truthfully, I want to do a build thread. I think they're fun and you can look back at the things you've done and where you were. Someone once told me that our posts here will help people that we'll never see or know.You won't always know every person that has benefited from your post, but that doesn't make the impact any less. Unfortunately, I've had enough of being lectured by some guy who read an online article written by someone unqualified to begin with. This hobby was founded and built by hobbyists who innovate and share experiences and ideas with each other. That is the part that I love and want to continue. The person to person, friend to friend, interaction is what makes the hobby worth doing. I know, without a doubt, that I wouldn't be in the hobby if the only interaction I had was at the fish store or an online vendor.

I still run into people who have read my thread and told me they like this or that or appreciated I posted about a certain subject or another. I'm like... first off, who are you? I've never seen your name on ARC. To which they reply, I'm a lurker but never really post. I've ran into 3-4 people like that just over the holidays alone so I definitely feel that our build threads that we maintain are beneficial to others.

Personally, I post because I enjoy it. Sure, it makes it fun when everyone else jumps on and makes a comment or even makes fun of me... but regardless, I just enjoy posting about my tank. You'll sometimes see 10-15 posts on my build thread with no comments at all but I just keep posting because its fun for me.

Nobody ever makes fun of you Ty.

Even I make fun of me Dan! [emoji12]

Sascha, only reason I mention is because you had a ton of views of your old build thread. Now either you are obsessive and looked at your own thread thousands of times or people were actually reading it. I'd like to believe the latter. [emoji23]

Everyone knows it isn't a good thread until you hit a few thousand views. I may have helped it a little. Only a couple thousands were mine though. As far as I can tell...

The funny thing about my old thread is that I really discovered who I was as a hobbyist. I had been influenced to try something new at the beginning of the thread and as I tried to solve problems over time, it lead me back to where I was before trying the new discipline. That alone makes it worth it.

Archived