Help!!

Christyef

I've only had this carpet 2 weeks and woke up to him being like this.... What can I do?? Well, crap! I can't figure out how to add the picture. I need help w/ that, too. Haha

Anyhow, it's mouth is WIDE open (like 2" diameter) and it's very shriveled...... Jst looked at it again and it moved and is trying to stick to a rock..... "Face" down. ??

I've also noticed the hosting clowns aren't feeding it. Heck, they don't even eat much. I'm using brine shrimp and myesis. They seem to let the pieces Jst float by or spit them back out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the tank well established? Is this a haddoni or a gigantea? Can you describe the lighting, flow, sandbed depth, tank age, and if there are any other anemones in the tank, of any species (aptasia's and tiny hitchhikers the exception). Do you have any clowns that can host them in the tank with them?

These are a difficult anemone to successfully keep in a home aquarium. They require very high lighting, very good but indirect flow, and a very stable environment. If your tank isn't setup perfectly for them, there's not a lot you can do to keep one healthy.

Edit after seeing pictures, it's a haddoni. Most of these like to settle in the sandbed but some will attach to rocks. Was it settled in the aquarium at some point?

I've had the tank running 4 months. All of my levels are good. The sand isn't but an inch deep. I could add more in that spot since that's where it's chosen to stay. But I'd have to move it, and I'm afraid I'd stress it even more. I'm using LED not T5. Maybe I shld change. The only other anemone is a RBT and its on the other end. No clown is hosting that one, but it seems to be fine. I've never seen the 3 clowns hosting the carpet ever actually feed it. The let food float by or spit it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say whether any of these are the specific cause, but the problems I see are the tank's age, size, the sandbed depth, and the BTA.

To get the tank stability and the size needed to house one, most recommend at least 100 gallons, and it needs to be about 24" wide minimum. All carpets can get more than 3ft wide, so they take a large tank to even fit, but they appreciate the stability that a large tank provides more than anything.

As far as age goes, having a tank running and stable for about a year is a better target before adding a carpet anemone. It takes a long time for the macro and micro fauna to establish in a tank. It's possible to get one sooner but the lack of age works against overall stability.

Hadonni's like deep sandbeds. There are a few examples of people keeping ones that want to be on rock, but for the most part they live without rock anywhere near them. 4" sand depth is usually about the absolute minimum and 6 or even 8 isn't too much. I'm not sure how to address this one in an existing tank because adding 4"+ of sand to an established tank is going to cause a ton of problems when it smothers the sandbed. Of everything, this would be my guess as to why it is having a hard time.

Having any other anemone in the tank can cause problems as well. They use chemicals as a defense and for other purposes and carpets are especially finicky when it comes to other anemones in the same tank. They don't need to be anywhere close to each other, the chemicals that the BTA produces can cause the carpet to basically never try to settle down.

Other thoughts, if the BTA is doing fine, I think the light is probably enough for the carpet, or at least enough that the carpet shouldn't just be wasting away.

Make sure the powerheads are on some sort of time or wavemaker. The carpet must have varying fliow which carries food to it, and carries waste and excess mucus away from the anemone.

You don't need to have something host it, but a clowfish that is accepted by the anemone can really help its chance of surviving. Carpets are so aggressive though, than it's a gamble putting it with any other fish. They'll even eat clownfish if they don't accept them for hosting.

As far as actual recommendation, I would definitely figure out how to get him upright. Always use gloves with these guys because they're so sticky, and many people have alergic or other reactions to getting stung by them. It's also easy to tear the anemone if they are able to grab onto your hands. Maybe position the flow so that he can stay in one spot in the sand without getting blown over, see if that helps. If you can get him to settle down, the chances for survival will go up a lot. Until you can get that to happen though, I'm not sure what other advice I could suggest now.

oooh, that doesn't look too good. I agree with everything jestep said. Anemones are fairly difficult to keep, despite their simple anatomy.

Carpets and some of the larger species are especially hard to take care of and just don't do well in the collection and shipping process. Special steps are needed when aclimating them to a tank. Many people now treat their larger anemones as soon as they get them with antibiotics since they are so prone to infection during the shipping and retail holding process. If the anemone's mouth was open when you bought it, there was a good chance it was already sick and needed treatment right away. Once the mouth opens real wide, it has usually passed the point of no return.

Keep an eye on it and get it out of the tank ASAP when it starts to deteriorate if it dies. That thing will bomb your tank if it decomposes in it. Best of luck!

Archived