RO vs RO/DI

BobcatReefer

Since I've never had a reef setup before (only FOLWR), and purchased my saltwater from the LFS, I've never worried about about RO vs RO/DI. Moving to a larger tank and reef setup, I figure I should buy a filter and make my own saltwater. I live in Austin and plan on a beginner level mixed reef. Do I need RO/DI, or is RO sufficient?

Asking today because of Black Friday deals and looking at this: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-value-plus-ro-di-system-75gpd-1.html

Really depends on what the starting TDS of the water is. At least in my case I definitely can't get down to zero in Austin without a DI stage. There are local members who I'm sure forego the DI stage and there's some who use treated tap, but I prefer to remove as many nutrients in water as possible so I don't need to try and deal with them in the tank.

I ran a tank with ro water only a while but I only had some softies and lps. I never had any trouble with it, if you can get the tds down to four or five ppm I think ro is completely safe for a simple lps and softy tank.

Archived