2016 Meeting ideas

Dan H

Hello all. 2016 is going to be here quick and I though we should get a jump brainstorming so we can have a meeting every month with a fun and interesting topic! So in light of that, I'm asking for your help. Please suggest things that you would want to discuss, demonstrate, learn about, etc... Perhaps you personally are interested in trying something out? This could be your motivation to git it a go, and document it for all of us to see your successes (hopefully!) or learn from your not-so-successes (hopefully not).

We already have the January meeting lined up with the topic SPS keeping. I know I can't wait for that!

Some possible ideas:

• Acclimation procedures (corals or fish)
  • Refugium setup
  • Fragging demonstrations
  • Zoanthid keeping
  • Plumbing setups (Durso vs Herbie vs BeanAnimal)
  • Plumbing Manifolds
  • Quarantine (fish or coral)
  • Medication
  • DIY rock
  • Water testing

And we can always grab our pitchforks and have the Deep Sand Bed vs shallow vs bare bottom debate. tongue.png

So toss out some ideas, let me know what topics you want.

Happy reef keeping!

Water testing would be a fun topic. Kind of a, bring your own test kits and water and we'll all sit down and test water together.

Maybe Victoly can hook us up with a meeting at the UT labs and run us through some testing do's and don'ts.

I'd throw my name in the hat for plumbing and refugium setup. Maybe the same meeting. Im no expert but my plumbing is pretty awesome since I didnt do most of it. All the Sch 40 plumbing was done by Jeff at Lifereef so its pretty compact and uses soft tubing where appropriate.

• 4 weeks later...

I still need a volunteer to host the February meeting. Anyone?

Also, we've been discussing the possibility of moving it to Sunday evenings instead of the middle of Saturday afternoon. It seems that perhaps people are generally tied up Saturday during the day doing family stuff and what not. Thoughts?

I can host in Feb, but I live really far south. Not very convenient.

Like San Marcos South?

I think the people in the South have been asking for a meeting in that part of town, so I say let's do it!

Also, we've been discussing the possibility of moving it to Sunday evenings instead of the middle of Saturday afternoon. It seems that perhaps people are generally tied up Saturday during the day doing family stuff and what not. Thoughts?

As someone who has had to schedule meetings for multiple groups over they years, there is no day/time that will work for everyone. I would caution against setting a day/time for all meetings, as that means the same audience will never be able to attend. Mix it up so some folks can come one month, others the next.

Yeah, I think bot sides of that argument are valid... If you change it up, you get diversity. If you keep it the same, you theoretically make it easier for people to remember.

Certainly it seems like we should try changing it up and see what happens.

Water testing would be a fun topic. Kind of a, bring your own test kits and water and we'll all sit down and test water together.

Maybe Victoly can hook us up with a meeting at the UT labs and run us through some testing do's and don'ts.

They're gonna have to run you through a ag swag detector before they'll let you on campus...

They're gonna have to run you through a ag swag detector before they'll let you on campus...

They're on to us! Run!

• 2 months later...

BUMP! Wanted to get some more opinions... What do you want to talk about? What would be helpful? What would make you say "There is no way I will miss that meeting!"

Door prizes donated by Sponsors? I think I'd be beating myself up if there was an awesome frag as a door prize for the next meeting and I missed out on it. 3 polyps of utter chaos or an ice fire echinata frag!

Door prizes donated by Sponsors? I think I'd be beating myself up if there was an awesome frag as a door prize for the next meeting and I missed out on it. 3 polyps of utter chaos or an ice fire echinata frag!

Free water test? Have a traveling set of tests that goes to each meeting and people can get their water tested if they show up.

These are fantastic ideas!! ARC used to give away great door prizes and that was always a great motivator to get out to a meeting. And I love the water test idea, especially for things like Mg and Ca that maybe people new to the hobby don't own yet.

Great. Sounds like that needs to be a topic. I suspect that meeting could go a little longer than normal as it could take a while to go through all the settings. Just a hunch.

Great. Sounds like that needs to be a topic. I suspect that meeting could go a little longer than normal as it could take a while to go through all the settings. Just a hunch.

Dapettit has done this topic a few times (it was normally our January meeting), so get with him if you want to hear what we've done before. He was also able to get some great red gel filters last time to give out to everyone for their cameras.

Archived