Tube anemone

KimP

I've always wanted tube anemones and finally picked out one I like. I thought I'd try the trick of putting it in a pvc pipe that I've read about. Total fail. Can anyone explain exactly how they did this? I thought I had it figured out.

How deep is your substrate? When I used to keep them I just buried them and let nature take its course. Be warned, the white/purple ones get HUGE.

post-4208-144811838111_thumb.jpg

I eventually removed them when the white one was able to touch glass on three sides of a 40b. They eat fish too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How deep is your substrate? When I used to keep them I just buried them and let nature take its course. Be warned, the white/purple ones get HUGE.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1448119235.338954.jpg

I eventually removed them when the white one was able to touch glass on three sides of a 40b. They eat fish too.

Wow those are beautiful! My sandbed varies around the tank. Where I'm wanting it to go it's probably 2" but I can easily change that. I bought a couple bags of sand to add to the tank where needed.

Wow those are beautiful! My sandbed varies around the tank. Where I'm wanting it to go it's probably 2" but I can easily change that. I bought a couple bags of sand to add to the tank where needed.

My sand bed was maybe 3"? They aren't picky at all once established. The "foot" or whatever just needs to be fully covered. They eat way more food than you would think though. At the size in that pic, each one ate like an 8-10" grouper. When it hit sub-woofer size, you could just hand it frozen cubes and it would swallow 2-3 whole. They like to eat.

If you haven't bought anything yet, the white/purple is much cheaper and easier than the green/orange. Just be aware of the space requirements. This is another angle

post-4208-14482184577_thumb.jpg

I wish I had more pictures from back then. I lost a bunch of stuff when my old phone blew up. Always sync. The big ones could fully occupy half a 40b at night (an 18" square). No idea how tall it would go in a deeper tank. The green/orange seemed to max out at a 5-6" disc and lays more flat.

My sand bed was maybe 3"? They aren't picky at all once established. The "foot" or whatever just needs to be fully covered. They eat way more food than you would think though. At the size in that pic, each one ate like an 8-10" grouper. When it hit sub-woofer size, you could just hand it frozen cubes and it would swallow 2-3 whole. They like to eat.

If you haven't bought anything yet, the white/purple is much cheaper and easier than the green/orange. Just be aware of the space requirements. This is another angle

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1448219302.819002.jpg

I wish I had more pictures from back then. I lost a bunch of stuff when my old phone blew up. Always sync. The big ones could fully occupy half a 40b at night (an 18" square). No idea how tall it would go in a deeper tank. The green/orange seemed to max out at a 5-6" disc and lays more flat.

Wow that's a lot of food! I have an orange and green one. It's pretty small right now. They're so beautiful! I'll find a good spot for it then and bury in some deep sand. Right now it's in the pvc tube just sitting on the sandbed, but it's been looking great so far. I really appreciate the advice!

Cool! The metallic ones are pretty. Get some daphnia and spot feed it. It's a freshwater food, most stores can at least order Hikari. I used one of those plastic syringes for feeding birds, shoved a cube in, filled it with water and came back 5 minutes later. Feed as much as it will eat, at least daily until it will accept larger prey from you. It needs raw calories to get established.

Archived