Isaac's 180+

Isaac

Both my backup heaters failed today...  the relays i have just cant handle the amp's the heaters pull.  I dug out by backup EB8 I picked up couple years ago.  Now I can sleep well.  I put my everclear PCA pump on it as well... I have extra plugs now.  This EB8 isnt on the UPS, the main EB8 is.  so cant really move much onto this one and the fallback's mean squat!

[ C-Dose_7_5 ]  ( 7_5 )
     Fallback OFF 
     Set ON 
     If RefuLo CLOSED Then OFF 
     If SumpLo CLOSED Then OFF 

[ SmHeat_7_7 ]  ( 7_7 )
     Fallback OFF 
     Set OFF 
     If Temp < 78.0 Then ON 

[ LgHeat_7_8 ]  ( 7_8 )
     Fallback OFF 
     Set OFF 
     If Temp < 77.9 Then ON 

large one is 800w 6.6Amp  small one is 300w, 2.5Amp... using calculator anyways...

apparently my PCA power brick plus power to the eb8 itself is solid at 1amp (on the graph)

small heater only makes it jump to 2.8 (so 1.8)

large heater only it jumps to 6.3 (so 5.2)

both it went up to 8.6 (so 7.5)

it looks like the eb8 is calculating on a 10-15sec avg.  and as anything, it has a startup peak and levels off after.   So i can say 9ish is my realistic peak w/ these *lol*

Those amps seem about right, the EB8 will be able to handle that fine as long as the big one is plugged into 4 or 8.  The only bad thing about the 4 & 8 plugs is they make the popping sound when they come on. 

I have two 300w heaters currently that do fine until the inside of my home gets below 67. After that a 3rd 300w heater has to kick in. 

• Like 1

so i finally got my real camera out, tripod, remote, 80-200 VR2 lens... the works.... and took about 800 shots.  I have to say, working w/ models is so much easier than flighty fish that wont stay still.  That being said.  I'm gonna play with the forum's new gallery feature once i get all the good shots out, and make some gifs! :)  I;m not one for much post-processing, so hopefully sooner rather than later eh?

• 3 weeks later...
anyone try this stuff out?  standard epoxy is a bit expensive for the amounts i might need....  plotting a war with palys
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquascape-fix-bonding-adhesive-fauna-marin.html

Never used it, but it sounds like it cools quickly. That can be a blessing if you're good at getting it in place quickly, otherwise a nightmare substance that you keep wasting in your attempt to get set in place.

• 3 weeks later...

lara has fed my "equipment" addiction... so now i have a new reactor... was debating biopellets.   anyone start using these instead of carbon dosing w/ everclear/vodka?  the everclear dosing is doing ok for me, but seeking opinions/findings from others :) 

21 hours ago, Isaac said:

lara has fed my "equipment" addiction... so now i have a new reactor... was debating biopellets.   anyone start using these instead of carbon dosing w/ everclear/vodka?  the everclear dosing is doing ok for me, but seeking opinions/findings from others :) 

After much reading, I'm staying w/ my everclear dosing w/ medical PCA pump.   The only "problem" the biopellets "solve" vs liquid carbon dosing are the sudden "spurts" or carbon in the water column, causing water quality issues.  I don't have these issues, as I'm dosing small amounts all day long, not once a day.  

I currently dose .3ml/hr of 10% everclear... so .03ml/hr.  vs 0.72ml once a day.

I guess i have a standby reactor if i need gfo/carbon real quick in addition to my existing gfo/carbon.

• 5 weeks later...

Solar fairy wrasse down.. RIP.  22-24mo.  Water params are w/in their norm for this tank.  He was looking pale a couple weeks, but I was out of town on business for two weeks, so pointless to try and QT him once i got back... plus you try catching a fairy wrasse w/o stressing them *lol*  

As this tank matures and fish grow, it seems ill start losing the more timid ones due to space constraints.... while this sucks, it tells me I'm at the right "stock ratio" fish wise.... if im willing to accept losses due to growth.  

• 1 month later...

aaand i just ran out of co2.... everyone else get about 6mo out of a 10# tank?  time to use the backup tank!  anyone in rr/gtown hitting airgas/homebrew this week? :)

aaand i just ran out of co2.... everyone else get about 6mo out of a 10# tank?  time to use the backup tank!  anyone in rr/gtown hitting airgas/homebrew this week? [emoji4]

I used to get about 6-8 months on a 5lb tank.

17 minutes ago, FarmerTy said:

I used to get about 6-8 months on a 5lb tank.

hmm, a.r.m. course?  if i use less co2 and lower rate, my levels drop too quickly.