Isaac's 180+

Isaac

so im at my neighbors house, and i notice his tank is.... lets say struggling yes? struggling. "dude, let me test your water" it went off the API scale in under 30 secs (its a 5 min test). So we know, at a bare min, 200, factoring delays and titration of a normal test... its probably like 600-800. but i digress. "me: you have any salt?" "him: i have this bucket" "me: still got that barrel?" "him: yea" "me: pull it out, ill go get my smaller barrels" 90ish gallon water change on a 160 w/ liverock.... so 60-70%? 1hr on mix, 40 mins for the water change.... I made my 9pm conf call at work.

farg im exhausted. oh yea, his skimmer was dead.. like dead dead.. so not he has my old skimmer too *lol*

anyone got some bourbon?

• Like 3

90mins after the change, nitrate 60ish. we calculated it to be about 75% water change. so.. original off the chart test was around 240-250 w/ these numbers. crazy man, CRAZY. test again in the morning, may start his fish drinking everclear!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

my main 5lb 10lb co2 tank ran out tonight... lasted 18mo. luckily i picked up a 2.5lb 5lb along the way as a backup... where do people get co2 refills? (not sure i want a swap, this one is tagged food grade which might be glass lined)

You can refill at Austin Home Brew and AirGas. You'll have to leave it at AirGas though and come back the next day usually to pick up. Homebrew can usually fill while you wait if they aren't crazy busy. Just make sure you tell AirGas that you want to refill and not exchange.

• 1 month later...

Small update on my neighbors mojano/aiptasia/bubble algae overrun tank....

Today was quarantine & nuke day! we pulled all the remaining rock out, fragged off anything we wanted to keep. rock will be acidwashed/dried. The first batch of acidwash rock is ready to cycle.... but we need a place to cycle it! so we nuked the DT, gonna clean it out in a week, cycle in place.

50g holding tank...

post-1733-0-27058700-1484531073_thumb.jp

160 (or 180 cant remember) display tank w/ a full bag of kalk (pickling lime from wallyworld)

post-1733-0-29293100-1484531081_thumb.jp

His house is gonna stiiiiiiiiiiiiink.

My guess is that dumping a bag of pickling lime in there is loosening up all the crap stuck to the glass so he can clean it nice and shiny for the re-stock. Am I close?

Why didn't he just go with straight vinegar?

i found raising the overall pH to not be as.... evasive as lowering the overall pH. The idea was to kill off all the aiptasia/mojano/bubble algae. If after a week there's anything left, we go the vinegar route.... after a water-change of course :) I'm not so worried about the stuff you can see and manually clean. im worried about the stuff you CANT see and/or get to. also, the bag was like 3 bux. to make the pH swing this much w/ vinegar... probably 5-7 bux *lol*

either way would work, end goal is nuke the tank.. soften things up to scrape, clean it, re-set the tank new, start some acidwashed rock cycling.

uuuuggghhhh....  so when the outside temp gets under 40-45ish, my backup heater has to kick in and help.  well, lastnight it didnt:

2017-01-26_12-24-03.png

2017-01-26_12-27-41.png

outdoor temp:

2017-01-26_12-34-40.png

And i slept through the annoying "flashpoint" alarm (flashpoint was a cop show filmed in canada, eh, and their "new call" siren was kinda annoying).

Sailfin tang did NOT like this, was floating stuck to the overflow.  RIP sailfin.

(now you can see why i make my own graphs, more detailed!)

i really liked him... he had very unique scarring from surviving an angel fight last year... almost looked like dimples.

problem I have now is... i cant really add anything else because of the 3 angels, the maroon clown and skunk clown.   its literally like a coldwar standoff in there.