Aquarium Stand Builders

Sascha D.

You got me! I just thought the question relevant as it would probably change the stand builder recommendation. My guess is the steel stand would be more expensive unless you go all out on your wood stand.

Maybe Dan and Meg will chime in about their builder that built their awesome wood stand. I think Jeremy (offroaddodge) still builds metal stands and I recommended a guy to SChrisEV that built him a steel stand as well. The welder modified my steel stand for me and did great work.

I've got an offroaddodge steel stand. Very well made. I got it with a tank purchase from another member, so not sure if he's still building stands, but if so they're very nice.

If you do get steel, I would recommend getting it properly powdercoated. Mine was painted and I'm having some chipping problems that I don't think would be as bad with a good powdercoating.

I've got an offroaddodge steel stand. Very well made. I got it with a tank purchase from another member, so not sure if he's still building stands, but if so they're very nice.

If you do get steel, I would recommend getting it properly powdercoated. Mine was painted and I'm having some chipping problems that I don't think would be as bad with a good powdercoating.

I got mine with rhinolining already on it. It's pretty awesome! I probably wouldn't have done it myself because I'm cheap but the rhiniloning does its job!

A steel stand would be okay if I can get magnetic panels that look good. Otherwise something in wood. Price wise, are they comparable?

When I got a steel stand quote it was significantly more than a wooden one. About 1.5 - 2 times as much.

I just bought steel this weekend for a stand. 2" 14 gauge square tubing and it was under $60 for three 12' lengths. Luckily I have a family member who will weld it for me for free, but I imagine whatever coating I get will increase the price. Since the big difference between steel and wood is just the frame itself, I would say 36' worth of 2x4s, screws, and wood sealant would be much cheaper than steel, a welder, and powder coating or truck liner coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I have yet to have a large tank with a stand I have had other instances for stands to be needed and the metal stand is vastly superior to a wood stand from a storage and ease of access standpoint because the frame can be significantly more open. That is just my two cents.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your suggestions and input. I reached out to several members and got a few responses (thank you to those who answered!). In the end it came down to feedback that I got regarding materials. The industrial steel, open stand, look got ruled out and I don't have the skill to skin the stand and make it look good. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any information on local builders and ended up ordering a traditional unstained stand from the tank builder.

Archived