UV Sterilizer

pelon_22

I don't think a UV sterilizer is going to have any effect on your phosphate levels. To get rid of phosphates you need something to bond with it so you can remove it. A product like phosban or something.

A UV sterilizer will pretty much kill anything live that goes through it at least on the simple cell level. The trick is to get all the bad stuff to go through it. :rofl: I have never heard of it being used to control phosphate though.

If you find a UV sterilizer that gets rid of phosphates, the world will be a path to your door, and you'll be an overnight millionaire. Sadly, a UV sterilizer only affects living organisms, and phosphate isn't a living organism. In theory, it would make the matter worse, because you would be killing bacterium that could ingest phosphates.

well its more of a slime algie problem that is consuming my tank I have been told two things one was the phosguard pro and the other was the UV Steralizer. I thought I would pick the longer of the two fixes that and i hate to add unnessesary chemicals to my tank. thanks everyone for your help

Adding a phosphate remover in a reactor to your tank is not adding chemicals. It absorbs phosphates like carbon absorbs other unwanted substances in your water. I have to agree with the previous posters that UV will not lower your phosphates.