Mounting corals under water

js_is

Say I have a frag on a plug or a small piece of LR, and I want to glue it to the big rock in the tank which can't be taken out easily. Does the underwater epoxy work? what's the best way to do it?

Thanks!

Edited by js_is

Epoxy works or super glue gel on the frag and then push it into the rock.

Thanks, Gabriel, the BTA I got from you the other day is doing great in my tank, by the way.

The super clue gel I got from home depot or HEB comes in very small tubes, so I'd use at least 2 or 3 tubes of gel to cover the back of a 1 sq inch rock so that it has enough gel to push into the big rock. Is that how everybody does it? or something different? What if I want to glue the coral to the side of the big rock, not on top, is there a way to do it?

• 1 year later...

Super glue works pretty well too. I put a glob on the frag or coral, rub around on the rock until it starts to stick and then press firmly for 30 seconds or so. You may have to do it twice to get the rock covered well initially.

Were does one find the Deltic putty? and how is the price compared to more generic reef putty?

I use this blue putty with a gray center. You can buy it at walmart in the painting section, by the super/krazy glue. I cut a peice off with my knife and mash the blue and gray together and it hardens just fine under water. You can use a small about of gel glue to hold the rocks in place long enough for the putty to harden.

Most all do, just check to see if it says "non-toxic" anywhere on the label.

On one note about epoxies. I certainly found them to be more of a pain and switched to super glue gel due to them not sticking well until hard. The single most frustrating complaint I had was that my skimmer would absolutely freak out for about 3 days after I used putty. I did not notice it a few of the times. I would check on my skimmer and the cup would be full of clear water. Then one day it happened while mounting frags and it overflowed water all over my floor from the collection cup.

I use the putty when attaching frags that are already on LR rubble to my existing LR. However, as others have mentioned, the putty can be a pain since it takes awhile to harden. Whenever possible, try placing your frag directly onto the LR using the superglue gel. You don't want to use putty to attach the coral to the rock due the heat released during it's curing process which may damage your corals.

Daniel