Banggai Cardinal fish not eating

Teresa

Hi Everyone,

I purchased three new Banggai Cardinal fish three days ago and they are refusing to eat. They will put the food in their mouth and then immediately spit it back out. I have tried mini pellets (that my clown fish love), thawed mysis shrimp (chopped and whole), the tab you stick on the side of the tank (that my clowns also love), larger pellets, and flake food. It's not a matter of interest, because they will try each item. However, they always spit it out. Ideas?

Thanks!

You can also try brine shrimp. I've yet to see a fish avoid eating live prey. There's not much nutritional value unless you gut load them with selcon, but if you mix some mysis with the brine you might trick them into eating the frozen once their eating behavior is triggered.

I think I have some brine eggs left over that I can hatch. I wonder if they'll go for the babies. I didn't think this type of fish was a picky eater. Is this normal for the cardinal fish?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ive only had one cardinal out of I think 5 actually eat pellets. Mine refuse to eat anything but frozen food. Brine and mysis they like. They seem to enjoy the squid as well.

I ended up getting the "Saltwater Multipack" of frozen cubes that had four different types of food so I could see what they liked and what they disliked without wasting money on a whole pack of one food

Sent from my LGLS660 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't realize they were so picky. Two of the three died :(. The remaining one is the only one I could get to eat frozen mysis. Do I need to worry about him being on his own? I liked the number three but I'm not interested in jumping through hurdles to get them to eat. I can leave well enough alone for now as well. Thoughts on whether I should have more than one of these Cardinals in my 55 gal?

I got them at petco, so probably wild caught. Lesson learned. Will I have an issue adding two more later on down the road? I.e. territory aggression from current cardinal?

That'll depend on what gender your current one is and what gender your future ones will be, typically. Seems common for males to duke it out. It can be a bit of a pain to sex them though. Much easier to do when they're fat and recently fed

Fish Gallery normally has tank raised Banggai. The sole one I have left put of I think 4 came from PetCo. Little survivor.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

I got them at petco, so probably wild caught. Lesson learned. Will I have an issue adding two more later on down the road? I.e. territory aggression from current cardinal?

Size also seems to matter, go small with any you add.

Take a pic of the one you have and take it to one of the better LFS. They can usually sex what you have so you know what to buy.

Size also seems to matter, go small with any you add.

Take a pic of the one you have and take it to one of the better LFS. They can usually sex what you have so you know what to buy.

Of course, the other alternative is to take it with you and just trade it out as credit for a group of the ones you want.

Sexing cardinals is really hard. The best way to identify them is to feed the heck out of them and the male will have two protrusions near is anus and the female will only have one. Don't believe the longer dorsal fin as an indicator of sex... It's not conclusive.

I like the idea of trading it in. You know the best part? I bought the three fish because they were on sale for $15 a piece. In the end, I ended up paying $45 for one :(.

Archived