We're growing!

FarmerTy

Fish farms qualify for ag exemptions, it actually includes any kind of aquaculture.

This raises a good question. Can we claim agricultural exemption on our property taxes if we have a aquaculture facility on our property? Hmmmmmmmm :huh:
I think you might be able to argue it because it is somewhat unclear,

According to the Texas comptroller faq on the subject (http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/agriculture/faq_ag_sales.html) persons involved in Aquaculture such as commercial fish farms qualify, however people breeding pets do not. My guess is unless you had a somewhat substantial facility you might be able to get the exemption but I would not hold out on it.

Would you consider bacteria or fungus an animal or plant? I think microbiology has it's own classification when it comes to propagating organisms

Careful now, you'll make the mushroom farmers angry.

So what do you call salmon or tilapia farming? I believe that still falls under agriculture. And I also believe that exported maricultured corals from Indonesia are regulated by their agricultural branch. I studied some aquaculture at A&M, and I do believe it fell under the school of agriculture and life sciences. Hydroponics would also be considered a form of farming. In the definition of Agriculture it says "including cultivation of the soil", but does not exclude the agricultural products grown and raised in an aqious state. Agriculture can be in any number of mediums, it's just a form of controlled cultivation of biological elements. What's the difference between putting pigs in a pen and breeding them and putting corals in a trough and growing and cultivating them? Just pigs are on soil and corals are in water.

Pigs and all their parts are consumables. Salmon and tilapia are food items. When you can get the Texas comptroller to issue a Texas agriculture and Timber Registration number I will concede that a coral aquaculture facility is ag based.

whoa whoa whoa. Who ever said we had to have the propagation of a living creature sanctioned by the state Comptroller to agree that the practice is agricultural in nature? I think we can all agree that the transitioning from a hunter-gatherer style of coral supply to the act of domesticating a wild animal and breeding it in captivity in an attempt to increase their population for the purpose of human trade is agricultural in nature. Sure, puppy farms and the like aren't sanctioned as "agricultural" by the government because they are considered pets, but that doesn't make the act of caring for and raising animals in a large scale production not "agricultural" in style. Same techniques and work is applied, the end goal is what is different.

Haters gonna hate.

I refrain my self from too much soapboxing on Ty's thread,

Let's not use agriculture as a buzz word here. Growing coral is not agriculture as it isn't farming or ranching for the purpose of food or direct consumables. Despite the feeling of many of us coral isn't an intergural part of us sustaining life. Trying to qualify it as ag is almost a slap in the face of us that are active in participation and stake our livelihood on supplying the world with food and clothing. Your argument while well written fell apart when you used agriculture in style and air quoted "agriculture". You can't eat them, you can't wear them the good produced aren't agriculture.

Let's not use agriculture as a buzz word here. Growing coral is not agriculture as it isn't farming or ranching for the purpose of food or direct consumables. Despite the feeling of many of us coral isn't an intergural part of us sustaining life. Trying to qualify it as ag is almost a slap in the face of us that are active in participation and stake our livelihood on supplying the world with food and clothing. Your argument while well written fell apart when you used agriculture in style and air quoted "agriculture". You can't eat them, you can't wear them the good produced aren't agriculture.

Ok, yes agriculture isn't the correct term, I tried to differentiate and say agricultural in style.

Let me rephrase what started this conversation...

Leave horticulture to the horticulturalists or mariculturalists

Last time I am posting in this, but I am curious if you consider plant nurseries as agricultural. They are not for the most part working with the goal of producing food, they are producing decorative plants. However the aforementioned nurseries are solidly in the qualify for an ag exemption zone. So what is the difference between a plant nursery and a coral grow out facility which is achieving the exact same goal of producing decorative living organisms for the sole purpose of decorating a place of business or home the only difference is the medium that is used to sustain them.

Now don't get me wrong I am not trying to lessen the work that people who produce our food do, but the agricultural exemption is about more than just food production, timber production also qualifies and as I have stated above decorative plant nurseries also qualify.

Now I do not think that any side business coral grow out facility would qualify under the its an aquaculture nursery argument because there is a minimum size of facility needed in order to qualify ( for nurseries I believe it is an acre) so it would really have to be a huge under taking to develop a facility for coral production large enough to the point that you could get the comptroller to even consider giving the exemption.

Alright I am done no more arguing about ag exemptions from Larry, sorry if I offended any farmers or ranchers.

Last time I am posting in this, but I am curious if you consider plant nurseries as agricultural. They are not for the most part working with the goal of producing food, they are producing decorative plants. However the aforementioned nurseries are solidly in the qualify for an ag exemption zone. So what is the difference between a plant nursery and a coral grow out facility which is achieving the exact same goal of producing decorative living organisms for the sole purpose of decorating a place of business or home the only difference is the medium that is used to sustain them.

Now don't get me wrong I am not trying to lessen the work that people who produce our food do, but the agricultural exemption is about more than just food production, timber production also qualifies and as I have stated above decorative plant nurseries also qualify.

Now I do not think that any side business coral grow out facility would qualify under the its an aquaculture nursery argument because there is a minimum size of facility needed in order to qualify ( for nurseries I believe it is an acre) so it would really have to be a huge under taking to develop a facility for coral production large enough to the point that you could get the comptroller to even consider giving the exemption.

Alright I am done no more arguing about ag exemptions from Larry, sorry if I offended any farmers or ranchers.

You didn't offend this farmer. [emoji6]

Archived