New coral suggestions

LarryD

So my tank is a little empty so I am looking for some suggestions for softies or maybe some low maintenance lps corals

Right now I just have 4 small colonies of zoas, a decent colony of gsp.

I have a ten gallon tank with an AI prime for light and pretty good movement provided by a 240gph hydor and a rio200 on the fuge.

The only livestock in the tank is a snowflake clown, peppermint shrimp and a small cuc.post-4015-0-49424900-1437270963_thumb.jp

You can never go wrong with a good lookin frogspawn!

That is true. Is a wall or torch similarly easy?

I have never owned a mushroom or ricordea, I should do something about that maybe.

I want to get some more blues and reds, right now I have an inordinate amount of green and yellow/orange.

I could also do a display macro, something like that.

Most of the euphyllias have the same care and temperament, the exception being torches which are more aggressive and more likely to develop long sweeper tentacles. Personally, I think branching frogspawn and hammers are slightly easier to care for than wall frogspawn and hammers, but they're all easy coral. Generally, they can all be next to each other and not sting, again with the exception of torches.

Ricordeas are a great easy coral. River city has an awesome ricordea specific display tank if you want to see an example of a good ricordea tank.

As far as macro algae goes, gracilaria hayi is by far my favorite display macro. It has a semi rigid structure so it's very easy to work with and looks amazing. Dragon's breath is a very similar looking algae, but is much harder to work with because it lacks structure or texture. Here's a few pictures when I was growing hayi in my pico.

IMG_0230_1024.jpgIMG_0233_1024.jpg

Not sure if subsea is still growing it locally, otherwise http://live-plants.com/would be my recommendation for macros. Great prices. They typically send a lot for what it costs.

Most of the euphyllias have the same care and temperament, the exception being torches which are more aggressive and more likely to develop long sweeper tentacles. Personally, I think branching frogspawn and hammers are slightly easier to care for than wall frogspawn and hammers, but they're all easy coral. Generally, they can all be next to each other and not sting, again with the exception of torches.

Ricordeas are a great easy coral. River city has an awesome ricordea specific display tank if you want to see an example of a good ricordea tank.

As far as macro algae goes, gracilaria hayi is by far my favorite display macro. It has a semi rigid structure so it's very easy to work with and looks amazing. Dragon's breath is a very similar looking algae, but is much harder to work with because it lacks structure or texture. Here's a few pictures when I was growing hayi in my pico.

IMG_0230_1024.jpgIMG_0233_1024.jpg

Not sure if subsea is still growing it locally, otherwise http://live-plants.com/would be my recommendation for macros. Great prices. They typically send a lot for what it costs.

I read the biuld thread for that tank a little while back it turned out amazin. I like the idea of a hammer but I already have so much green in the tank that I really just want to get some blues, reds, and purples. Mushrooms and ricordeas I think would be a great fit because they tend to come in a wide range of colours.

Candy cane corals are a really easy LPS and survived a whole lot of crap I have put them through. Yellow colony polyps bring more warm colors into a tank and also some neat texture. You may have to trim them back occasionally because they can grow quickly.

I guess I have only seen the bright green candy canes, do they come in other colours?

Yellow polyps would not be a bad addition I don't have to much yellow yet.

If you stick with the softies I would avoid the invasive species in a small tank. Button polyps,, discoma mushrooms, cloves and the likes. Stick with your favorite Zoas for color. Euphyllias take up too much room in a small tank. I like Florida Rics and they provide some nice colors and are easy corals as well as Yumas. Maybe an easy brain coral IE: Welsos come in great colors but only one in a small tank cause if they smell another they can put out some really long sweepers if POd.

Good Luck

Andre

If you stick with the softies I would avoid the invasive species in a small tank. Button polyps,, discoma mushrooms, cloves and the likes. Stick with your favorite Zoas for color. Euphyllias take up too much room in a small tank. I like Florida Rics and they provide some nice colors and are easy corals as well as Yumas. Maybe an easy brain coral IE: Welsos come in great colors but only one in a small tank cause if they smell another they can put out some really long sweepers if POd.

Good Luck

Andre

I actually got rid of some cloves when I moved to the larger tank because they were starting to get a tad invasive. I am not dead set on sticking with just softies, the lighting I have is enough to that I could probably easily provide for some lps. I had not considered a welso but had considered an acan or favia.

Archived