Mindstream Aquarium Monitor

FarmerTy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can certainly respect making ones self feel a little better by reflecting on past successes. Makes the present easier to handle. Longhorn students right now do have it rough though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rough is when I was at A&M in 2008, THAT was a rough football season. Every school needs their ups and downs, otherwise you would never truly appreciate the good times. That being said, it's been nice to be an Aggie the past couple of years, despite the roller coaster ride of last season rolleyes.gif

This this whole in-tank monitoring is going to be like home computers in the 70's, we'll hardly remember the drudgery of performing multiple tests every week to monitor our parameters. Like any technology, the price will reflect the R&D for a while until it is more widely produced and the price comes down. One day, maybe not just yet though.

I was at a&m when we brought over Dennis Franchione. Blue Bell even had a signature Coach Fran ice cream. Don't worry Longhorns. No matter how frustrated you may get with Strong...he's no Fran

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to derail the football topic (GO TCU!), but I wonder what the feasibly is of the Mindstream after they failed to to fund their kickstarter. Are they going to be able to raise capital to continue development? Perhaps they will be a buyout target of one of the bigger companies if the technology is truly there.

I think the initial price of the unit is pretty crazy, I don't see myself or too many others shelling out 700 bucks for it. However the $50 a month doesn't seem too bad when I consider I probably spend 15 minutes doing water tests 3 or 4 times a week. That quickly adds up to around 3 or 4 hours over a month. I would probably pay $50 not to have to do that. Maybe they could do an agreement plan like cell phones. Agree to buy disks for 24 months and get the base unit for free or something similar.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, after reading though those slides this really looks like a game changer. I really hope they can get this out to the market and we can see how accurate its readings truly are. According to slide 28 they aren't sure yet how accurate they will be for Alk and Mg.

And they are not sure yet how they will measure phosphate if ever. One thing I think being at MACNA and the attempting the kickstarter did for them was to give them a ton of feedback to go back and polish their story. The main points I gathered from the process were: (1) get the price down, (2) focus on the major parameters reef aquariums need to monitor. A minor but oft repeated point was: don't force me to go to the cloud for data.

Hi Jim, did anyone mention the need for 3rd party access (i.e., Neptune)? That would be a huge selling point to many of us.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. They were specifically asked about this at their workshop. The answer was they have not ruled it out but were focusing on the base capabilities first. The Neptune people were also asked about it in the Apex users group meeting and they basically said they would be open to it if approached by the Mindstream folks.

I'm hoping Neptune just buys them out and produces a product themselves :)

Neptune does seem to be onto the concept of providing more monitoring, take for example their announcement of the Apex FFM at MACNA

I'm hoping Neptune just buys them out and produces a product themselves smile.png

I wouldn't be upset with this.

Whats the Apex FFM? A google search didn't show anything.

Sorry, it's FMM, not FFM blush.png "Fluid Monitoring Module"

Archived