Sherman RBTA drama

SChrisEV

I had two of these guys left after selling the others. When I moved I had all my live stock in a couple of 40g bins. One of the two decide to check out the power-head I had in the bin, I found it pretty fast, but it did get beat up pretty well. I powered off the power-head, removed the tentacles best I could from the pump vent, and the nem seemed okay, hurt, but okay. Few days pass and my new system is ready, so I moved the nem into my sump/frag section for easy retrieval, he was already spoken for. But I waned to give it some time to make sure there were no lasting affect... couple days passed and I checked on my tank in the am to find the nem had walked up the wall where the water flowed into the return chamber, it has some pretty sharp teeth I cut into the divider, it was cut almost in half, the foot still attached to the wall the "head" tentacles barely still attached to the foot by a strand of flesh.

Not having high hopes I moved it to another part of my sump, but a place he would not be able to get to the same area. With in a short time the disconnected and was in two halves. That was about a week ago. I did not know what to expect, I new these could take some stress etc, but this seems extreme. I actually expected that within a few days it would be gone, at least ONE of the halves. So far they are both around. I've seen videos of them being fragged with both parts keeping a part of the mouth. In this case half has the mouth half does not. Time will tell, but the tentacle half took a small piece of food last night. it may just make it.

Has anyone else had any experience with this extreme damage to a nem and have it still make it?

I've heard of people rehabing some pretty beat up ones in a mesh basket that allows flow but they can't climb out of it. They do get most of their energy from the lighting so I would think there's still a chance the mouth-less one can survive.

Archived