Reflector Modification

dapettit

I finally got the ballast working properly. I had to replace a bad capacitor. Thanks to Robert Manning the cap was replaced. When we fired the lights up we both noticed a distinct shadow down the center of the tank. I have 18" round lumenbright reflectors with 2x250 SE 14K SPS bulbs fired by a PFO dual ballast. Robert suggested I might cut the reflector (see photo below) and pop rivet them together. At first I wasn't sure but the more I think about the more I think this will work. I am also thinking about adding a couple of T-5 actinics. What is the consensus? No offense Robert.

DSC_0007.jpg

tank-180.jpg

I had this issue when I first got my tank. I have a different kind of reflector though. With the help of Gabe, I was able to turn them 180 degrees and move them slightly closer together. It fixed the spread of light and looks a lot better now.

I would not cut them. They are specifically designed to work best the way they are. The reason you have a shadow is they are too close to the water. Obviously you can't move them up without having a taller canopy, so I would try doing what Andrew recommended first.

Moving them horizontally is not going to happen since the adjustable mogul base sticks out about 4 inches (see the green circles). I have about 2" work of play between the reflectors. How about moving them inward?

tank-181.jpg

Not sure what you mean by Horizontally. In toward each other is what we meant. Also I think Andrew meant to say rotating them 90 degrees not 180. The other thing you could do is use a shim to slightly angle them toward the center if they are too hard to move.

Ok I think I understand. I can not rotate them due to the mogul base, the lid will not close. I might be able to cut the base to make it fit. Or, I might just rebuild the hood. How high off the water should they be?

Edited by dapettit

Yea, we just rotated mine because of the design of the reflector. Since you have super awesome reflectors, it shouldn't make much difference where the base is.

If you still don't get the results you want I think Gabe's idea of use a shim is great.

If nothing else, it will be bright in the center and a little dimmer around the far edges of the aquarium, which would be my preference over having a darker center.