What time of day do you do water changes? Does it matter?

ejaustin

I usually do water changes in the evening, because that's when it's most convenient for me. But I wonder if there are other factors besides convenience that I should be taking into account. I know that pH tends to be lower in the morning than in the evening. I don't know if there are any other chemistry-factors that have a rhythmic swing. I was just thinking if I were having trouble with low pH, for instance, it might be marginally better to change the water in the morning, when the pH is at its lowest.

Mostly I'm just curious. I suspect the answer will be that people don't think it makes much difference, but I could be wrong. I am with discouraging regularity.

Anyone else wonder about this kind of thing?

ej

No ...

except to say that the pH rises during the day and decline during the night.

pH changes becomes more drastic at higher temperatures than lower. Therefore, ideally you want to do your water changes during the evening or night.

But then this going overboard with water chemistry. As aquarists, a small changes in pH would not cause any harm to your fish ... by small I mean 0.001 to 0.05.

Rohn