Need to Modify My Stand

renman303

I have just discovered that the Stand that I just bought, while very nice will probably not work without some modifications. The entire stand is made of 3/4" Plywood including vertical supports (2 front and 2 back) running the length of the stand and the corners are essentially doubled up 3/4" plywood. The tank is a Perfecto Prestige and is rated for 220 gallons but, is for an all glass tank that is supported ONLY on the outer edges.

Here is the problem..... My new tank is being constructed by AGE and is a solid PVC bottom without edge support. Thus, the entire stand must be supported through the center as well.

I'm wondering if I shore up the corners and 4 center supports vertically with 2x4's and run two- 2x4's under the top from front to back on edge, would that give me enough support?

This should be a cheap fix but, I want to make sure that I do it correctly.

I think it would work fine. I have built stands a couple of times and then just used the skin from and existing stand to make it look pretty. Just make sure you build it up so your sump will still fit.

Did I see you Saturday night over by La Frontera by chance? I saw at least six Cobra's on my way to dinner. ;)

Archived