Trigger reef safe?

Cameronbherring

So my dad used to have a saltwater tank and he had a trigger (FOWLR). Now that I have a bigger tank, (5ft long 100g) he told me I should get a trigger. I personally love triggers and pufferfish but don't know if they are reef safe. Anyone know of any reef safe triggers?

Pretty sure no triggers are reef safe other than the blue throat trigger. My buddy mike had one and might be able to give more info but other than his I've never seen one in a reef tank.

I'm not 100% but I think blue throat, crosshatch, and pinktails are the most reef safe of all the triggers. They should be the last additions regardless.

Also, IMO, a 5ft long tank is not big enough for any of them. Don't let the water volume fool you. Fish need length and width for lots of swimming room.

With caution the the various "Huma" triggers can be kept, they can't be trusted with crustaceans and small fish. One trigger that should be avoided are undulate triggers, every one I've known were very aggressive towards everything.

Fish are not considered reef safe for two reasons.

The first reason is that they eat some types of corals as a part of their main diet. Some examples are Butterflies and Parrotfish. Some fish may be labled as "With Caution" if they are prone to nipping corals but are not a part of their main diet. Angels, Moorish Idols and Filefish are some of the fish that are always labeled as "With Caution" for this reason. Some of these species may be kept with corals or invertebrates successfully, but may also turn your tank into a buffet at any time.

The second reason is that the fish eats or may eat other invertebrates. Some Wrasses, Triggerfish, Lionfish, Groupers, etc. will leave corals alone, but will eat other invertebrates like shrimp, crabs, clams and snails. Some fish may be considered safe while juveniles but not safe when they get larger. Some Wrasses are not considered reef safe because they will eat fan worms and shrimp. Some will eat hermits or snails, but most leave larger crabs, clams and cucumbers alone. Lionfish, Groupers, and Triggerfish eat invertebrates as a main part of their diet. Anything that will fit into their mouths will normally be gone soon. In fact, Triggerfish NEED hard shelled invertebrates to wear down their teeth. IF they don't eat these animals then their teeth grow so long that they will no longer be able to open their mouth and starve to death.

Invertebrates are not necessary to have a good reef tank. Nobody needs ornamental shrimp and they are not considered part of a clean up crew. Nobody needs hermits and they cause more problems than they solve. The last hermit crab I bought was in 2002. Snails help clean the glass, but you don't really need them. I haven't had a snail in my tank in over a year and plenty of people never buy snails. Scallops have a low life expectancy and should be left in the ocean. Nothing really bothers cucumbers or urchins.

So the real question is, do you want shrimp, crabs and snails or do you want a Triggerfish?

I've seen a blue jaw swim underneath a chromis and surprise bite the gills to kill the chromis. I've never seen any Xanthichthys trigger go after clam, shrimp or coral. HTH

med_gallery_115_63_108280.jpg

+1 tank is too small, but triggers shouldn't be coral eaters, just eveththing else alive in the tank. I've also read anecdotes from people reporting their triggers being extremely messy. As in, pulling large rocks down off the stack because they don't like them. Building sand mountains ect. It's one thing for a clown or sand burrowing wrasse to do a little redecorating ( which they do from time to time) but another for a 10" and very very powerful trigger to do it

What do you feed DoMa?

I feed PE mysis, pellets and nori

Great picture DoMa! What are the two green alien eyes staring back at me?

Thanks Ty, it's just kryptonite candy cane. My eel broke off the colony and that's all that's left still stuck on the wall.

+1 tank is too small, but triggers shouldn't be coral eaters, just eveththing else alive in the tank. I've also read anecdotes from people reporting their triggers being extremely messy. As in, pulling large rocks down off the stack because they don't like them. Building sand mountains ect. It's one thing for a clown or sand burrowing wrasse to do a little redecorating ( which they do from time to time) but another for a 10" and very very powerful trigger to do it

+1 I've seen the same thing. Niger Triggers are especially known for needing sandy bottom and hiding places. Clown Triggers are supposed to be the messiest, but they leave chunks all over the tank.

5' is way too small for Triggers.

When our small Crosshatches (3.5") see me walk around the corner and into view they dart across the tank. I've never seen a fish move so fast. They cover 10 feet in seriously a blink of an eye and they're tiny.

They're in the tank with small fish (Anthias, Cleaner Wrasse, Small Female Flame Wrasse, Clown, etc...) and haven't bothered anybody. A few fish have been nipped by mistake during feedings though.

I think if you get a Xanthichthys trigger small and keep it well fed, it shouldn't bother much in the tank. Ours are pussycats and back off to the tangs. I think larger wild caught fish will have certain foods ingrained in them though...

Archived