Ckyuv's 90g

ckyuv

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

So I think I got the bulb combo I'm going with for now. Going from the kessils to the t5 it seemed a lot whiter so I have more of a blue look with the bulbs. I am running front to back:

Purple+

Blue+

Aquablue special

Blue+

Coral+

Blue+

I'm diggin the color. The tank has been running a little warm and the Red Sea protein skimmer makes a ton of micro bubbles. I turned off the protein skimmer and now I don't have micro bubbles and the tank temperature dropped from 84 to 79. I wonder if they tested this before they started selling it... I've always had skimmers as back ups but in the past 3 or 4 years I've probably only had like a month of run time. I just use them as glorified bubblers. I was looking on line and I haven't decided if I want to get a different skimmer or just get an air stone to put in the back. As there is no sump below the tank there isn't much oxygen making it into the water without the hot, loud skimmer. I got a jbj ato and came home to my tank overflowing, apparently the switch is bad... I am just running it with one right now, I'll prob see if I can get another from jbj as this was new. I also have a 4 gallon bucket for my top off that lasts a little over a week. I'm going to try and find a 10g bucket or something so I don't have to keep filling it so often. Also got a bubble magus dosing pump I will be setting up soon. Since everything is acclimating to the new light, water changes are keeping up the calcium and alk but that won't last long.

• 4 weeks later...

I took out the Red Sea skimmer as it was a piece of junk. It was making the tank run 4 degrees warmer and was making bubbles like a mofo. I replaced it with a deltec mc500, from what I have read this skimmer is the champ for this tank. Its already making some nasty skimmate, I havent used a skimmer in a long time and dont remember the stuff smelling so bad. Still havent had to set up my doser yet as all my params are staying stable. I do a 10g water change every week and that seems to be keeping everything happy.

I have been checking out the jason fox, fox flame and an considering ordering one as well...

I took out the Red Sea skimmer as it was a piece of junk. It was making the tank run 4 degrees warmer and was making bubbles like a mofo. I replaced it with a deltec mc500, from what I have read this skimmer is the champ for this tank. Its already making some nasty skimmate, I havent used a skimmer in a long time and dont remember the stuff smelling so bad. Still havent had to set up my doser yet as all my params are staying stable. I do a 10g water change every week and that seems to be keeping everything happy.

I have been checking out the jason fox, fox flame and an considering ordering one as well...

You'd be my new hero if you did. [emoji4]

• 1 month later...

Haven't done an update in a bit, I've had some gha popping up everywhere that I have been battling so I haven't wanted to add anymore corals till I get the chemistry right. I was hoping I wouldn't need a power head or anything in the tank, I was trying to keep the aio tank aio but that don't seem like it will work for sps. I got me a mp10 and a starter pack of prodibio to try and get the nutrients in check. My wife likes to feed the fish a lot and there is no talking her in to anything different so I'll try out the prodibio dosing to combat the over feeding.

post-2461-0-29942100-1442283111_thumb.jp

post-2461-0-43224000-1442283127_thumb.jp

post-2461-0-89176700-1442283144_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I have been wantin to get some bright colored corals lately, I know yellow is tough but I wanted to take a stab at it. RCA had some sweet colonies the other day so I picked up some new corals. The wife found a tarantula the other day so I had to poison the yard, I forgot I used up all the Bayer for the dip! I ended up using peroxide to dip them then used ReVive. The Mille wasn't a huge fan but they got good p.e. Again now..

post-2461-0-44462500-1443428574_thumb.jp

post-2461-0-35233700-1443428596_thumb.jp

post-2461-0-72533700-1443428633_thumb.jp

post-2461-0-88533600-1443428660_thumb.jp

It seems to be, from what I have read it can take a few weeks to start working. I certainly have less algae growing on stuff now. I've never actually tested for nutrients but as far as the eyeball test goes it's working.

Archived