Tank New Year's Resolutions

FarmerTy

So how many people have kick started their resolutions? So far all I've done is play games on my phone.

Not sure if I have grown my coral any but I am well on my way to becoming a billionaire.

I did successfully clean up my tank area including wire management, labeling, sweeping, and enclosing the sides. I still need to finish the sides with reclaimed pallet wood so if anyone has any let me know.

I also set up my reef angel app to be accessible from anywhere. Boy was that a pain trying to open a port. Turns out I have a router/modem combo that goes to another router so once I figured that out it didn't take too much longer to set up. I can manually look at the parameter log in the app but haven't figured out how to access it via excel. Jim?

Turns out my salinity is a bit low so over the course of a couple of days i'll get it back up but everything else looks fine.

So all in all I'm doing pretty good.

Now my non-reef related resolution was to start running and that didn't happen. Maybe next year.

Brian,

By re-cpaimed pallet wood do you mean rough cut 1X4 pine? I have extra pallets in my yard and more coming and going all the time. I can easily set aside the trash pallets...how many do you need?

Brian,

By re-cpaimed pallet wood do you mean rough cut 1X4 pine? I have extra pallets in my yard and more coming and going all the time. I can easily set aside the trash pallets...how many do you need?

Thanks, but I have an open top canopy. I could use the ceiling hangers but my wife doesn't want to see 8 wires hanging down. I think my best option is hanging them from a bar that runs across the top of the canopy. The other option I have is to basically make a shelf with holes cut into it for the lights. I haven't used the skill saw in a while, but mostly because i have no skill!

I did successfully clean up my tank area including wire management, labeling, sweeping, and enclosing the sides. I still need to finish the sides with reclaimed pallet wood so if anyone has any let me know.

I also set up my reef angel app to be accessible from anywhere. Boy was that a pain trying to open a port. Turns out I have a router/modem combo that goes to another router so once I figured that out it didn't take too much longer to set up. I can manually look at the parameter log in the app but haven't figured out how to access it via excel. Jim?

Turns out my salinity is a bit low so over the course of a couple of days i'll get it back up but everything else looks fine.

So all in all I'm doing pretty good.

Now my non-reef related resolution was to start running and that didn't happen. Maybe next year.

I have not tried to load it into excel. I was not aware there was a way to do that with reef angel. I am using Aquatic Log to grab parameters off the reef angel wifi, and I manually record all my feeding and maintenance there too.

• 6 months later...

Half the year has gone by so who's still keeping their Tank New Year's Resolution?

I can say my reef is thriving although I am still dealing with algae but nothing I can't handle. Keeping Alk between 8-9 and dosing 9mL of vodka daily. Still testing and keeping my log.

I haven't had any fish or coral deaths so that's always a plus.

I'll try to get some pictures posted either by this weekend.

1. Resist buying corals

2. Remember to service RODI unit on time

3. Update the code libraries on my Reef Angel

Ok, here's my update:

1. FAIL

2. PASS

3. PASS

Is anyone surprised??

I thought it would be fun to list our resolutions for the new year regarding our shared hobby.

1) Empty and clean the skimmer cup more often

2) Clean up the rats nest of wires in the stand

3) No more corals! [emoji57]

1) pass +1 (made a skimmate reservoir and got an auto neck cleaner)

2) Fail, hadn't even touched it

3) Failed horribly... there's corals everywhere! I even got one today! [emoji17]

1. Test at least once a month

2. Calibrate ph probe

3. Set up protein skimmer

4. Find goldflake angel that won't nip corals

1. Fail - pretty sure I just learned my lesson

2. Pass - then I sold it

3. Pass - I did last week

4. Extra McFail - didn't realize they cost so much

Archived