Simulating sunrise/sunset... benefits?

MantaFan

I'm trying to determine if there is any benefit to dimming LEDs to simulate sunrise/sunset... I haven't been able to find much information at all besides this article that says "not mandatory for a successful aquarium".

I can't do this now with my VHOs, and I'm trying to determine if I should spend the extra cash for dimable LEDs. Is this something we think we need, or do corals truly benefit from gradually increased/decreased lighting?

Has anyone found a definitive research article, or personally tested this?

FOR UR QUESTION.

THE OCEANREVIVE IT SERIES CAN DO THAT. IN MY OPINION, THAT HELPS OUT LIVE STOCKS NOT TO GET SHOCKED( STRESSED, CORALS REPONDED CLOSE AND OPEN DURING THAT TIME) FROM A SUDDENT LIGHT CHANGED AND A PERSONAL DESIRED. AND MOSTLY THAT PRESET IS PROGRAMED.

THERE MIGHT BE SOME OTHER FIXTURE OUT THERE CAN DO THAT TOO, AND MOST OF THEM CANT NOT EVEN IT IS ELECTRONIC PROGRAM DIM....

I LIKE THE MANUAL DIMMING FUNCION BETTER...

OP, hop on reef central. Check out probably 99% of the tank of the month winners for the last 15 years. Pretty much as far back as their archives go you find the best reef tanks in the country and the world, using non-ramping light. Ramping is a fun feature, neat for those who like to tinker. Necessary or even beneficial for the livestock? Doesn't appear there is any quantifiable evidence to support that.

It might not be beneficial but my favorite time of day to stare at my tank is when the lights have dimmed to blue in the evening. Everything pops and the lower light is really enjoyable. In general I like to see the tank lit differently throughout the day. My apex has been disconnected for a while so I've been using a plain ol timer and lost the ability to change the intensity and spectrum. I sure miss it and can't wait to get the apex hooked back up!

I agree Kim. I love the dawn dusk ramp up of the BML super actinics. It's quite pleasant. I think I moreso like a couple phases of the tank. I like a classic actinic heavy period in the morning and night with bright high noon shallow water look in the middle

Archived