any one ever move cross country with live stock

kingjames

As some of you know i got a promotion and will be moving to Ohio the first of Jan...that being said i have sold off most of my my live rock/livestock other then the two clown fish i have had almost five yrs, and corals/rock i couldnt part ways with as i have grown them out for so long or are more harder to find pieces...that being said i will be making this move in a u haul and its a 20 hour drive. I plan on trying to make this drive in two days and stopping once for a night at a hotel..i have styrofoam cooler that nikos reef graciously provided for me to keep livestock in. i plan on keeping in the cab with me so they will be in a controlled temp enviornment. i also am going to have everything bagged seperately. I was wondering if everything should be fine if not opened/aerated the whole journey? I am also planning on setting up a temp set up as soon a i reach my destination...Any thoughts or comments on what could be done better is much appreciated

thanks

James N

Congrats on the promotion! Any chance it was big enough you could pay someone to keep them in an established tank in Austin then overnight them to you when you get your tank up and going? Not sure how much/ how big what your taking is but it seems less stressful. I would imagine when they import corals/fish they are probably in bags and containers that long but they might have other methods too.

If possible, I'd have a LFS hold the coral/livestock for you and ship them to you once you have a setup ready to go.

If you want to drive them, then for sure purchase an aerator and have an inverter to run the aerator. That'll give you the best chances of survival.

Archived