How to Introduce a New Tang to an Established Tank

Sascha D.

Hey Everyone,

I currently have a very aggressive Powder Blue Tang in my 150g reef. I would like to introduce more fish to the aquarium, but have had some problems in the past with this tang. About six months ago I introduced a Melanurus Wrasse and a Coral Beauty Angel. The PBT very literally chased them around the tank for two weeks every time they came out of the rocks. At one point he had the wrasse pinned to the corner of the tank for two days. Aside from the stress, the fish didn't receive any injuries and so I left them in the tank. The only other fish I have introduced since getting the tang was the Pearly Jawfish, which he left alone. Each day the PBT chases the other tank inhabitants seemingly at random for 2-3 seconds at a time.

Tank Size: 150g

Current Stock:

• Powder Blue Tank, 4"
  • Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel Adult
  • Melanurus Wrasse - Adult
  • Blue Chromis x9
  • Pearly Jawfish
  • Leopard Wrasse, 3" juvenile

So here's what I was thinking. If I could introduce 2 more tangs/rabbitfish to the aquarium then that would limit the aggressiveness of the existing PBT. Has anyone done this successfully? I would like to limit stress on my PBT since they can be sensitive to changes and my wife may kill me if something goes South. The only way I can think to do it is to trap the PBT and QT it with the new arrivals. After the QT I could introduce them at the same time back into the display tank. My QT is a 10g so that may not be the best solution. I do have a specimen box that can be used. Keeping the PBT in a specimen box for a week may be a good idea, but I don't know if it would work.

I've often read that stress is the main cause (both direct and indirect) for fish death in an aquarium environment. IMO placing a tang, which roams over large territories in the wild, in a 10g QT tank is likely to stress the fish. Adding several more tangs to the QT would likely increase the stress levels exponentially.

I had the same goal after I established my 225g. Here's what worked for me. I removed my two tangs from my display tank and placed them in separate tanks for several days. I then ordered my 2 new tangs from Diver's Den which follows a standard QT process for each fish. When the new fish arrived I acclimated and added all the fish to the DT at the same time. I realize it may not be as ideal as QT'ing them yourself but I have bought many fish from DD and, knock on wood, have never had a disease breakout.

I had the same thoughts. The 10g definitely wouldn't work, but it's all I have. I would have to borrow something or buy a 55g used when one pops up. I would have to order the fish through Diver's Den or possibly through Niko's. I've had good luck with both. The one thing I'm worried about is the health of my existing PBT though. He's an excellent fish, in good health, and Ich free. I would hate to lose him transferring back and forth.

Here is a thought and that worked for me in a past year. After killed a few PBs, I was giving up on it...

Cut some eggcrates, cage off a corner of a tank and trap old tang in there for days or week while acclimating a new guys. And try to feed the prisoner in daily basic, left over food flows out the cage will attract new fish.

That way they all see each others at a meal time frequently, would help reducing aggressiveness. ..and try NOT to feed em any frozen food during this transaction.

Eventhough, they still fight at night for a cave to sleep, if u could turn off the light for +10 hrs that might help abit...

That's all my 2cent....good luck

Thanks Viet'spride. I have used this method with freshwater cichlids with success. Unfortunately, my LR is pretty immobile. The only space I would be able to create would be pretty small. One downside that I have seen with this method is that some aggressive fish attack the eggcrate or try and attack the fish on the other side and injure themselves.

I have also used the lights out method. The idea is that you turn the lights off before you introduce the new fish. The resident fish retreat to their sleepy holes and the new fish has time to establish. Generally you have to keep the lights off for at least a full day. When the lights come back on, all of the fish come out and everything is good. It would be worth a try, but I would have to see if my PBT chases fish after the lights go out. If so, then it won't work.

I have a 40g breeder sump. I wonder if I could trap and transfer the PBT to the sump, introduce the new fish and then bring the sump fish up top.

Any other fish I would say yes but the PBTs are so active and I feel claustrophobic that putting it in the sump for a few days to a week would be quite stressful for it. It would just pace back and forth all day.

I wonder which if the better option. The LFS often put tangs in 20-40g tanks for a week with no ill effect. That had to be better than transitioning him new water and then back again.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I would find it better to keep him in the same water than to move him to a new tank for awhile and then back again with new fish. As far as stress goes, moving the fish to new water and a new environment would be more stressful than moving him into the sump, which has the same water. I think stress would be the deciding factor in whether the fish gets sick from the transition or not. Especially with a PBT that is susceptible to Ich.

From everyone's valuable experience and insight I think I see three options.

1. Lights out. Make sure the fish are well fed then turn off the lights later that day. Introduce the new fish and keep the lights off for at least a day, maybe two. Hopefully when the lights come back on everyone comes out and it's all good.
  2. Introduce at the same time. Remove the existing tang by either sending him to a friend's tank, clearing the sump, or borrowing a QT. Order the fish through DD or get locally. Introduce at the same time.
  3. Do nothing. Be happy with what I have and don't complain. smile.png

I would assume your PBT would be fairly strong and healthy since it hasestablished itself in your tankalready. I have a healthy powder brown who went into quarantine for 4weeks and then to the display. I still noticed some white spots a few weeks laterand it went right back to QT. I have had it for 7months now and that thing is fat and healthy. I think the main issue is the health of the fish. If it is healthy which I'm sure yours is, then I wouldn't worry too much about the stress it would receive from going into a QT that is big enough for it. If I were I your shoes, I would transfer to a QT, order from DD a few weeks later, and then introduce all at the same time. Tangs are sensitive yes but there is a huge difference between a healthy tang and a not so healthy tang. Healthy tangs don't get much credit.

Thanks Manny. I'm glad that you had a good experience trying the same thing I'm thinking about. That gives me hope! I would need to buy or borrow a QT of 40-55g. Either that or let someone babysit my wife's favorite fish. dry.png

I have the opposite problem, a Melanaris who kills tangs I've tried to introduce. I tried a Naso and a Hippo. If you want to give yours some of his own medicine you could put him in my tank and let them duke it out. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Manny. I'm glad that you had a good experience trying the same thing I'm thinking about. That gives me hope! I would need to buy or borrow a QT of 40-55g. Either that or let someone babysit my wife's favorite fish. dry.png

I used a 29 gallon and it worked fine.

I actually wouldn't mind another Melanurus Wrasse. Mine is an adult male and fairly docile. I never see him bothering anything except bristle worms and the occasional snail. They're not considered "reef safe" for some reason, but nothing I've found says why. He hasn't bothered any fan worms or shrimp, just the dwarf cerith snails.

I used a see through critter cage to introduce a new fish and allow the aggression to happen with the fish not being able to hurt each other. I use a mag float and a critter cage with a bunch of holes drilled. There's an old thread about it under do it yourself. Worked every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sascha, I have a couple extra tanks laying around; one that I've QT'd a BPT in as a matter of fact (Stress killed the BPT a couple months later).

One is a 29 tall and the other is BC 29; I also have a standard 20. You're welcome to borrow any one of them, The cube with a nice size rock in the center can easily house a powder for a few weeks if not longer, and isn't too big of a water change for your display.

I will be setting up at least one QT for my new tank today when I do a water change as a matter of fact, so let me know :)

Archived