Anyone tried kessil spectral controller?

ckyuv

Yes I know JimH I a bad friend :). Here is my .02 review.

Yes it is a good timer. Yes it is a timer. Previously I was using a ALC for my reef keeper. The problem was that the timers in the reef keeper can be kind of a pain. You have to subtract the beginning ramp time from the run time to get the photoperiod that you want. Also the kessil doesn't turn on at 1% with the ALC it needs 11% to turn on. This is because the kessil won't fire sub 1v which is 10%. So between trying to take the ramp time to 11% and subtract it from the total ramp time and then subtract that for the total run time it just got to be a huge pain and irritated me to no end. So I bought the kessil spectral controller and ditched the ALC. Overall I have been 100% happy with my purchase. I was disappointed that the spectral controller couldn't give me options to set a spectrum like 20k 18k 14k etc like the radion controllers but I did email kessil and make that suggestion and since the unit is firmware update through the usb I have hopes that will be included in the next firmware upgrade. Controlling the ramp intensity and color intensity and duration is great. You can adjust the ramp any what you like up to six points, so your ramp time doesn't have to be a true parabolic curve. You can hold it in one position longer if you wish. The intensity and color are separate set points on the six time set points. The neat thing on the spectral controller that doesn't apply to me is the ability to control multiple fixtures with separate ports. The spectral contoller has 2 ports to connect to your lights on the bottom. So let's say you have a 3 light system and wanted to run the middle light 10% brighter or more white color then the end two, no problem you just connect the one middle light to port one and the spectral controller to one of the ends and daisy chain to the other light. The separate ports can run on completely different lighting profiles and times too. I have noticed that 10% intensity change on the light while it doesn't sound like much can be a huge change. This can be particularly beneficial for some one like Ty that is running a dual spire aquascape. His middle light could be cranked up where he is getting higher par at his sand bed that is 27" deep on the middle light then his outside lights which only have 12" from the light to the top of the spires. If that doesn't float your boat you could also have all you DT lights on one profile and then another light in your sump on a different profile running at different times. I say this since some members are starting to utilize the sump area for frag grow out like Ty and bigbsy and maybe Sasha. The spectral controller is also going to work on the next generation of kessil lights that are coming out. Such as the A160's I have heard and their panel style light that they debuted at interzoo. There is also an acclimation setting that will start at a specified percent and then ramp back up to your current lighting profile over a specified amount of days. You can also periodically manually change the color and intensity of the light on the fly for observation and the unit will default back too the set lighting profile after 5 minutes or so. Some times I don't stay up until 1030pm when my lights are full blue and turn off so I can jump to 0% white which is all blue when I get home to look at the pretty colors and if I get distracted over dinner and kids my lights will automatically go back to the profile after a couple of minutes. Overall I feel that the spectral controller is a far sight better then the reef keeper and ALC. Users like JimH that are running a single light off a reef angel or single light apex users and a VDM will probably not see that it is head and shoulders above what they are currently using. If you had the choice now I would go ahead and get the spectral controller. At $100 I feel it's money well spent.

Thanks Reburn! I like the ramp up, the multi light, and safe override features. If they do provide firmware upgrade to let you specify temp and if/when a 'library' of successful profiles could be made available then I would definitely consider making the switch. Given that the unit is still pretty young I expect they will make a lot of progress over the next 18 months.

Fun fact. With a very simple diy (even for someone like me who is terrified of electronics), the kessil controller actually works for the BML lights. Only as an automatic ramping timer. Can't adjust spectrum....yet

Archived