zoanthid care

hammons.david

Zoas will periodically open and close several times a day depending on physical agitation, light, and flow. Be concerned if they close for days on end. Most all coral polyps will follow this same habit

I use a 250w metal halide and there is 16 in of water ( and the light is hung 1 foot above the tank ) between them and the light. When they are open sometimes they are out stretched toward the light. I have the same light intensity through out the day.

Reaching and standing up real tall almost always indicates low light. My zoas in the shade will stretch their stalks as much as 3-4" to reach direct ligjt, whereas those directly under the light will lay flat against the rock/sand. You should have plenty of power in your light, but 16" is awfully high up. Perhaps if you lowered it some. I also see from another post you're considering an led switch though so you'll go through a whole other set of light acclimation experinces when that happens.

You must have mistaken me f

Reaching and standing up real tall almost always indicates low light. My zoas in the shade will stretch their stalks as much as 3-4" to reach direct ligjt, whereas those directly under the light will lay flat against the rock/sand. You should have plenty of power in your light, but 16" is awfully high up. Perhaps if you lowered it some. I also see from another post you're considering an led switch though so you'll go through a whole other set of light acclimation experinces when that happens.

You must have mistaken me for kidwithatank about the switch to leds, anyway I have different types of zoas and they are never flat againist the rock. Should I try to get to flat against the rock?

Not all zoas will be flat against the rock. Palys will almost never be. If you try and make them they will cook. What zoas are they? Is anything touching them, even zoas of a different kind. A lot of times they will close up right before a growth cycle depending how many polyps there are. Aptaisa being close stinging them will definitely make most of them close. Sometimes even a pod or bristle worm or crab or snail crawling across them will make them close. Some are just finicky little punks.

IF they open when the lights come on at 10, then they stay open all day unless the shrimp touches them. Zoas and Palys are touchy. If any bit of algae or something touches them, then they usually close. I've had mine close up for a week at a time with no harm done.

Archived