Small BRS 2-Part Dosing Life Hack

TheKipf

I just set up the BRS 2-Part Dosing package in my reef tank. I believe I did what many do initially - I had the out-of-the-box coiled up tubing just shoved into the gallon mixing jugs and had those shoved under my sump.

It was soon clear this wasn't a long-term solution. The tubing was a pain to deal with and wouldn't sit in a position that would fully siphon out all of each solution container. Additionally, whenever I worked down in my sump I had to be careful of bumping or moving the tubing so I wouldn't pull it out of the solution and cause my dosing pumps to pull in air.

This isn't anything ground breaking - but an under $8.00 quick hack that helped clean up those little issues. Seems to be working pretty good.

BRS 2-Part Life Hack

One thing to note, you want to make really sure that the connection between the rigid tubing and the poly tubing is air tight. If you start getting air in there (which may happen over time as your tubing loses flexibility), your dose rates are going to decrease over time. Otherwise, nice little mod! I did basically the same thing but with the weird metric tubing that comes with BM dosers and rigid clear PVC.

I had that concern going into it. What I ended up doing is just running the poly tubing all the way through the rigid tubing. The rigid plex tubing purpose is just to add form and structure to the poly tubing. The only disconnect between the poly tubing at the bottom of the container, and my BRS dosing pump is that quick compression fitting.

I also didn't want to change the diameter of the tubing that went into the container. I didn't know how (if) that would affect my dosing rate.

Archived