50g Starfire cube

Jimbo662

Changes are a'comin! I'm going to be moving at the beginning of Feb and have been contemplating what's next for me. The new place will allow me to make some changes (read between the lines...going bigger). So...here's the plan. I just ordered a 50g cube (details below). Going to do a softie / LPS tank using what's currently in the 75g. Once I determine what gets transferred I'll be selling off the remaining livestock / equipment. New tank arrives on the 16th.

Once I get moved and settled in I'll be ordering another DSA 175 RR (peninsula style). I'm still torn between doing a fowlr or switching back to freshwater and doing a discus tank...I've wanted to do discus for a loooooong time.

50g Starfire cube from SC Aquatics (amazon had a deal on a package w/free shipping)

24"x24"x20"

stand

Sump 19-3/4 x 16-1/2 x 13" with 3 cambers

SCA-301 skimmer

PH3000 return pump

http://www.amazon.com/Starfire-Aquariums-Complete-Package-24x24x20/dp/B00HY5PD56/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418306717&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=50+gal+starfire+cube

One existing Kessil A360WE

The tank only has one 1" drain. What's the best option for shutting off the return pump if the drain gets plugged? I was looking at float valves to use as a shut off in case the water level in the sump dropped but not sure that's the best option.

Interesting downsize considering how well done the infrastructure of your 75 gallon has been. You certainly have my stamp of approval on a big discus tank. Put a few tuna sun units over it and a big 20 pound co2 tank. Plant it. Discus. Drueling. I love a nice planted discus tank

Thanks for your validation! :-) I've still got my co2 tank from my last planted tank...I had a 125g with several large angels. If I'm going to have two tanks set up the space for the smaller of the two would be a little tight for the 75g in the new place. I figured the cube would be a good compromise.

Planted discus or low light blackwater with manzanita or other branches scaped as roots. Both would make amazing peninsula's.

Not sure how to deal with a clogged overflow. I have a single durso on my 90 and it would seem almost impossible for it to get clogged because of the overflow box. I also don't have any snails which I would imagine helps a lot of potential clogs.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the plumbing done and ro water in the tank. Luckily just one teeny tiny leak between the bulkhead and pvc. Couldn't stop it with teflon tape so I added a small bead of silicon around it and fixed it. It took about 10 min to get the overflow dialed in and it's sooooo silent. Hopefully I'll get salt added tomorrow so I can begin the transfer mid week.

post-2872-0-00980500-1420396853_thumb.jp

post-2872-0-43779300-1420397133_thumb.jp

The one drawback I see to the overflow is the way they designed it with the dual returns is the drain pipe has to be down below the return T. So far so good though.

post-2872-0-34917400-1420397202_thumb.jp

Looks like a great start.

It looks like you added your own plumbing (the amazon link makes it seem like they only include a drainpipe and some flexible hose). Did you have to convert from metric to add additional PVC?

The kit included drain and the T for the return. I got new bulkheads with threads on the bottom. They use a thin walled pvc (or maybe metric...not sure) so the included plumbing didn't work with standard pvc so I built my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my sand in the tank and some rubble in the sump on Sunday. I checked yesterday an no ammonia so I think it's good to go. Today started moving corals over. The first few (rhodactis and payls) are already opening and seem to like their new home. Hopefully will have everything moved that I'm keeping and will be ready by the end of the weekend to post some livestock for sale.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived