Coke bottle trap

MantaFan

I tried a 20 oz water bottle for my skunk shrimp and found that the shrimp were large enough to grab the food out of the trap without totally going inside. This was using the technique of cutting off and inverting the top of the bottle. I'm gonna try a larger bottle soon.

I know two methods to make a bottle trap.

The first is how Jim described, taking a two-liter bottle, cutting it in half and inverting the top half into the bottom half. This trap is intended to be used overnight or otherwise not attended. Normally you would use this trap to catch nocturnal predatory crabs or mantis.

The second is made by taking any bottle, putting a rock and bait into the bottom and leaning the bottle against the rocks. Normally, you would tie fishing line or something to the top of the bottle so you can haul it out when something goes in. You could use this simpler version to catch a cleaner shrimp or other desirable creature to sell or transport.

In both cases the mouth of the bottle has to be at a degree high enough to where the creature can't crawl out or reach the top. Anything the thing you're trying to catch will eat can be used as bait. I've used pieces of krill, mysis, or silversides. Some people say you can use "table shrimp" but I don't find it useful.

Archived