Who has an Apex system

Christian

I'm looking at differnt systems set ups of my sps aquarium. I want to know what people thoughts are on automating systems and complete control of the aquarium via aquarium controllers and who has used or is use them on their current system.

I am one of the couple of people here who use reef angel. RA is not for everyone, not by a long shot. I know lots of others use Apex. I can't imagine keeping SPS without automation.

I am one of the couple of people here who use reef angel. RA is not for everyone, not by a long shot. I know lots of others use Apex. I can't imagine keeping SPS without automation.

How different is the RA from apex?

There are quite a few of us that use reef keepers. Digital aquatics new system the archon is shaping up to be really nice. I think lenver is beta testing one. I ordered one for my new tank.

I've only used the apex. I got it just before Fusion was launched so had to learn some of the programming. Now with Fusion it's so much easier and the fact it's cloud based you just log into you unit from any browser. I don't even have my little display connected any longer...it's all online now. You can get the apex jr for most basic stuff and upgrade as you want / need.

Not sure if you were asking questions about the reef angel or not. Just in case:

- I control my Kessil A360We lights just fine with the RA

- I have the wireless adaptor, and yes there is a phone app that can manage basic things like tell you what all your probes are reading and turn relays on off, no fancy charting in the app though

- In general I think the Apex looks cleaner as far as wiring and overal polish of the hardware packaging, etc

- You can get by without doing C programming, barely, but if you want to do anything special you gotta write code

I think for most people it is not a good fit, but if you are a tinkerer you might like it

Apex here. I could not imagine keeping an sps dominated tank without one. Not necessarily the apex, but automation. Automated ca/alk supplementation, temperature control, topoff, light dimming. All can be done with individual controllers for the same result.

I use apex. I have thought about selling it but it's really a cool thing. I've never been able to get the ph probe working but the temp and timers are sweet. I've been out of the country for a little bit now and it controls my temp, Dosers, lights, fish feeder and mp10. Im pretty confident the tank will be ok when I get back, if not I'll sell the apex and get new corals :P

I asked a bunch of questions a while back. You may find some answers in that thread.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/31018-what-can-a-controller-really-do/

I have been on the fence for some time. I don't dose or run many fancy gadgets so I've always weighed the cost benefit of a controller. People do some amazing things with them though.

Archived