Networking question

FarmerTy

Curious if any network/computer geniuses in the club can help me figure this out.

Thanks to Makena, I went down the route of setting up my old Samsung S3 phone as a ip webcam. I have forwarded the port through my router and can access the live feed using the ip address below:

http://107.207.77.238:8080/browserfs.html

username: jeeperty

pass: corals

Now, the problem I am having is access via my own phone, the Samsung S5.

I can pull up the feed, on my own home network by using the address above through my laptop, which is on the same network.

When I try the exact same thing with my Samsung S5 phone, nothing comes up. However, when I turn off my wifi on the phone and access it through my verizon data plan, it works fine.

Am I missing something here? How come my laptop can access the camera feed while "in network" while my phone cannot? Does this have to do with external IP address versus internal IP address? If so, why does the laptop resolve it but not the phone?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I administer IT and this one is a bit baffling. Following in case anyone might know this.

It initially sounded like a routing problem, which isn't uncommon when you're trying to access your own public IP on a private network behind the same ip, but if your computer can access it while the phone can't on the same network, that's not normal. It could possibly be a cached network route in the phone preventing it from resolving the public ip address through the wifi connection.

Have you tried disabling the mobile network on the phone and see if you can access it with only wifi enabled? May need to disable mobile network and fully restart the phone to clear out any cached routes as well.

Hmmm, well Jestep, I tried disabling the mobile network and only running the wireless and it worked! Thanks for the suggestion.

Any ideas on what way the mobile network signal is interrupting the feed? It kind of runs me into my same problem but in a different way, I'll need to toggle either my wifi off or my mobile network off to view on my phone.

Jestep: It seems like the local wifi IP address would be different than the tunneled IP address through the router, right? In this case you would need to configure the phone to use the local IP if accessing the webcam over wifi, and the tunneled IP address if using 4G ....

Jestep: It seems like the local wifi IP address would be different than the tunneled IP address through the router, right? In this case you would need to configure the phone to use the local IP if accessing the webcam over wifi, and the tunneled IP address if using 4G ....

This would work, but since the laptop on the inside network can still access the external IP, I was trying to avoid having to manually configure some sort of split routing for the phone. Not really sure how to do that on a phone.

Sorry, I missed that it was working for the laptop. That is strange.

I try to come up with new ways to stump you everyday Jim. [emoji57]

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll try the IP trace later this evening and see what it tells me.

This is what you wrote:

Thanks to Makena, I went down the route of setting up my old Samsung S3 phone as a ip webcam. I have forwarded the port through my router and can access the live feed using the ip address below:

This is what I read:

Blah Blah Greek Spanish Chinese Samsung S3

Sorry I couldn't be more help bro. iiam.gif

Can you access the cam by using an internal IP instead of the external in the link you provided http://107.207.77.23.../browserfs.html? If yes then that would tell you that there is nothing wrong with your app or phone. There's more than just routing when trying to go cheap and using a phone as a cam (even if you could prove the roadblock was in your phone, now you have to troubleshoot why your phone is not accessible), maybe do a little research and spend 30 bucks on Black Friday and buy a true webcam that's been proven to work and save yourself the troubleshooting time. It would look nicer having a mountable cam instead of a phone on a homemade stand.

Maybe try a networking app to trace the ip address.

I haven't tried this one, but it looks like it should work: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scan.traceroute&hl=en

Try tracing the IP address on mobile only, and wifi only, and with both wifi and mobile turned on.

Jestep, I tried tracing the IP address with an app as you suggested. I got the same results tracing it with the wifi on only and the wifi and mobile on. With just the mobile on, I saw it hopped about 4 different verizon junctions (for lack of a better word) before it landed on my IP address again.

Can you access the cam by using an internal IP instead of the external in the link you provided http://107.207.77.23.../browserfs.html? If yes then that would tell you that there is nothing wrong with your app or phone. There's more than just routing when trying to go cheap and using a phone as a cam (even if you could prove the roadblock was in your phone, now you have to troubleshoot why your phone is not accessible), maybe do a little research and spend 30 bucks on Black Friday and buy a true webcam that's been proven to work and save yourself the troubleshooting time. It would look nicer having a mountable cam instead of a phone on a homemade stand.

Thanks for the suggestion DoMa. I tried the internal IP address to no avail.

I would love to go buy a webcam just for the purpose but justifying that to the wife is a road I don't want to go down. I'd rather say, look honey, look what I repurposed out of my old phone. Haha. Then use the money I would have spent on another webcam and buy a coral frag instead. doh.gif

Maybe try a networking app to trace the ip address.

I haven't tried this one, but it looks like it should work: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scan.traceroute&hl=en

Try tracing the IP address on mobile only, and wifi only, and with both wifi and mobile turned on.

Jestep, I tried tracing the IP address with an app as you suggested. I got the same results tracing it with the wifi on only and the wifi and mobile on. With just the mobile on, I saw it hopped about 4 different verizon junctions (for lack of a better word) before it landed on my IP address again.

Pull up a command prompt on your computer on the same network and do the same trace on there to compare to. On vista or windows 7, you can enter cmd in the search box after clicking on the start menu. Otherwise should be under all programs -> accessories -> command prompt.

On windows the command should be: tracert 107.207.77.23

Archived