Frag Tank Fish?

Neon Reefer

If it is a stand alone system, I would probably avoid adding fish for a system that size. Fish means feeding, which means fish waste. Then you have a whole set of new variables to deal with that would outweigh the benefits that certain fish could provide. Maybe start without fish and add a targeted cleanup crew if problems arise.

I agree with Richard L, I'd start with a clean up crew, my favorite place is http://www.reefcleaners.org/ . Unless you have a pest or algae issue, no need to get fishes, it'll complicate things more than help. A clean up crew consisting of just snails will bread and die based on what the system can provide.

If it is a stand alone system, I would probably avoid adding fish for a system that size. Fish means feeding, which means fish waste. Then you have a whole set of new variables to deal with that would outweigh the benefits that certain fish could provide. Maybe start without fish and add a targeted cleanup crew if problems arise.

It is a stand alone system with 10 Gals dedicated space for a sump including an Eshopps PSK 75 skimmer and one reactor for GAC / GFO both only used if needed. The idea is to feed the coral and circulate the water unfiltered so as not to remove the nutrients, hopefully finding a balance point where the nutrients are dense enough for good growth but not so dense as to elevate PO4 and create an algae problem / hurt SPS corals. Was wondering if feeding a couple of fish to create a small poo factory might help set a base line that I can supplement w/ regular coral foods. Fish food is cheaper than coral foods. Or just straight coral feeding.

I like the idea of just feeding the coral. Seems like good advise to start here and can always add the fish later if needed.

Richard I know you have a very large frag tank. How do you feed it and do you keep fish in it for algae eaters only or for the waste product as well?

It might be worthwhile to add something like a springer's damsel for flatworm and potential pest control. Wouldn't add a ton of bioload to the tank and they're a very useful fish in my experience. But for the sake of nutrient control, it would definitely be easier to keep it fishless.

Richard I know you have a very large frag tank. How do you feed it and do you keep fish in it for algae eaters only or for the waste product as well?

Until recently I've just been feeding the fish in my frag tank Rod's food. It has a lot of fine particulates in it that I imagine some of the corals can grab. I added a goniopora so now I've added Goniopower to my routine.

I have a small yellow tang and a sixline wrasse in it. Even though I've got plenty of gallons, I think that its a little on the shallow side for the tang. I also have added 3 damsels and 3 chromis for some color and a clown for my anemone. In hindsight, I wish I had stuck with just the wrasse to minimize how much food I'm chunking into the system.

Archived