Finally used my old S3

Makena95GT

8f0771dc2f0ecdfaac3630f4285868a2.jpg

62336e07a5e0f240925d9b124d0cb26d.jpg

Its for now just set up on an android app. But once I figure out how to get my router to open proxies itll be able to be seen by yous guys too ;)

Mainly did this because im going to visit my dad for five days and I want to be able to check on the tank. Im going to be tossing on an old automatic feeder to feed the minimum itll let me do once a day. The Cardinal will only eat frozen mysis so I may have to prep that in advance for my madre to feed once over the weekend. Hell get fattened up the day I leave too

Ill also top off my ATO container and do a small water change before I leave. My blue lights still arent on a timer but since i wont be home I may just leave them off

Nice. What router model do you have? Some are really difficult to impossible to configure port forwarding on. There is 3rd party firmware like tomato that works on quite a few as well.

ASUS RT-N56U

I'm no super computer whiz so all of the setup instructions are going right over my head. I obviously have been able to get it to work on any computer or phone so long as its connected to my router, but anything outside of that is a no go. So now it's learning wtf port forwarding is and how to do it.

Ingenious use of old electronics! I'm decent at computer/networking stuff, port forwarding is easy to grasp if you put in the effort to understand it. I don't own or have used this particular model but here's a break down of what to do. All of this is done on router and I using this online "dummy" router for reference. http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/dummy_ui/en

**Before you start find out which specific port your program is using to stream. **
**Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a "save" settings option for this router, thus if something going terribly wrong, you'll have to reset the router and redo any custom settings**

1) Find MAC address of your phone
- "Network Map" >> Look for Phone on the diagram and select it >> On the right-hand side under "Client List" hover over the "Name", note down the "MAC:"

2) Assign MAC to a static IP
- "Advanced Setting" >> "DHCP Server" >> Under "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP List" >> Select "Yes" for "Enable manual assignment?" >> Fill in the "MAC" noted from the previous step, then pick an "IP Address" i.e. 192.168.1.110 >> click "Add" >> Note down the IP Address you just assigned.
3) Forward port to the new static IP
- "Advanced Setting" >> "WAN" >> "Virtual Server" >> Fill in with the following
(The posting system jumbled the table below, let me know if you're also not seeing it correctly)

Service Name
- Reef Video Stream(Any name will do)

Port Range

- <Port your app uses>

Local IP

(IP set in step 2)

Local Port

- <Port your app uses>

Protocol

- UDP

Protocol No.

- (Leave Blank)

If all goes well, you'll be able to see your video from whatever site/program over the web.

Ingenious use of old electronics! I'm decent at computer/networking stuff, port forwarding is easy to grasp if you put in the effort to understand it. I don't own or have used this particular model but here's a break down of what to do. All of this is done on router and I using this online "dummy" router for reference. http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/dummy_ui/en

**Before you start find out which specific port your program is using to stream. **

**Unfortunately I wasn't able to find a "save" settings option for this router, thus if something going terribly wrong, you'll have to reset the router and redo any custom settings**

1) Find MAC address of your phone

- "Network Map" >> Look for Phone on the diagram and select it >> On the right-hand side under "Client List" hover over the "Name", note down the "MAC:"

2) Assign MAC to a static IP

- "Advanced Setting" >> "DHCP Server" >> Under "Manually Assigned IP around the DHCP List" >> Select "Yes" for "Enable manual assignment?" >> Fill in the "MAC" noted from the previous step, then pick an "IP Address" i.e. 192.168.1.110 >> click "Add" >> Note down the IP Address you just assigned.

3) Forward port to the new static IP

- "Advanced Setting" >> "WAN" >> "Virtual Server" >> Fill in with the following

(The posting system jumbled the table below, let me know if you're also not seeing it correctly)

Service Name

- Reef Video Stream(Any name will do)

Port Range

- <Port your app uses>

Local IP

(IP set in step 2)

Local Port

- <Port your app uses>

Protocol

- UDP

Protocol No.

- (Leave Blank)

If all goes well, you'll be able to see your video from whatever site/program over the web.

Al did not go well lol

I'm hoping this is just some easy fix because I'm blind and missed something..

The IP Webcam app on the S3 allows me to choose which port it uses. I chose a high port: 12150

I'll add in a screenshot of those settings as well.

My Router page looks different because I updated the firmware (oooo shiny) But it's the same concept and navigation is almost the same anyways.

So heres screenshots of the Virtual server/port forwarding page, then a screenshot of the static IP I set for the phone. I checked to be sure the MAC address was correct.

-Not sure if any of this would work on your end. I'm testing it using Tinycam Monitor app on my other android device. I'll toss in a screenshot of the settings on that phone as well in a moment. It of course asks for the cameras ip. If I put in the static IP I assigned it says it cannott access a private IP from the mobile network. So I tried using the external IP of the router. It says the request was rejected. So I assume that means my port forwarding as failed.

If I'm connected to the home WIFI, I can connect to the IP webcam no problemo. It's that darn port forwarding that I seem to be messing up.

post-3374-0-94167900-1415911835_thumb.pn

post-3374-0-11474700-1415911850_thumb.pn

Do you know your public IP address?

192.168.x.x addresses are private only so you wouldn't be able to access it directly using that IP. If you don't know, type in "my ip" in google on a browser on the same network as the camera.

That would be the address you would access from. WOuld be something like http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:12150

Rebooting comencing.

Haha I just wanted to be sure nobody was like "uhhh were only halfway done where the heck did she go!?

Im pretty determined to get this to work. If not I may go the actual webcam route. I was looking at those Dropcams yesterday. Super neat

I pulled out my old HTC Evo to test. Loaded IP Cam from the apps store, did all the settings correctly but ran into the same issue as you, works perfectly from within the home network but calling it up from a external IP is a no go. I even used a port was previously working for another project.

My current guesses are
1) the app is limiting me unless I purchase the pro service

2) ISP is playing games with us to limit video streaming (doubtful)

Did further testing and my project that I would remote into on occasion is also unreachable. Looks like it's option 2. I'm on Time Warner and my ports seem to currently be blocked. I'll do further testing another time when I can at the least confirm port forwarding is working for my other projects. sad.png sorry Makena, I tried, perhaps another expert can chime in on this.

professor.jpg

I got mine to work
No promise on how long my old phone's battery will last.
http://173.174.69.98:50200/
user: admin
password: password

Turns out, I forgot the new Time Warner modem they sent for the recent upgrade in internet speed, is also a router in itself. I thought I had bridged the connection so that my router would do all the DHCP managing. So in addition to the earlier steps. You'll also need to do the following IF YOU ARE ON TIME WARNER WITH THE NEW WIRELESS MODEM.

1) Log into the router at http://192.168.0.1/
user: admin
password: password
(first guess, lol)

2) Firewall >> Virtual Server >> forward your port to 192.168.0.2 (this is what the TWC modem has assign my own router)

I hope that help Makena grin.png

Archived