Grazer

Joel Tamez

I think foxfaces are the best grazers hands down, but they usually will outgrow even an 90 gallon. A small one could still last a year or two in a 60 gallon. I heard a few times of picky ones, but mine have always eaten anything, literally any non-calcareous algae in the tank, bubble, bryopsis, caulerpa, GHA, film.

You could go with a yellow or a kole tang, but neither are anywhere near as good as a foxface. The kole will eat some film algae but no macro, and the yellow will likely eat some macro and some film, very fish specific, but they're neither are very good if algae control is the specific goal.

I would say a small Lawnmower Blenny if you have a lot of live rock. If not, a solid cleanup crew is enough. I have had issues keeping a medium sized Blenny alive in my 57g. They always run out of food.

Star eye blennies are prettier close cousins to Rock blennies. I also like Sally Lightfoot crabs

I agree on the star eye blenny. I have kiss marks all over my front glass from it grazing on the algae when it grows there :)

I would add some caution when adding sally lightfoot crabs. They are good grazers, but they also can be predatory, especially as they get older and bigger. My wife still won't forgive me for adding one and it went after a clown goby. Even worse we she was looking in the tank and it popped out of the rock work eating the poor little yellow clown gobies head.

Archived