29 bio-cube

shara

I think my bio-cube needs better/new fans. Any advice on replacing them with computer fans? Will it have a substantial effect on the temp?

Also, my hubby wants an 8 gallon bio-cube for his desk at work or something similar. In case he reads this I'll preface by saying MY two-29 gallons are technically his. For simplicity, let's just say this is basically his first tank. Because of the consolidation of the reef, is it terribly difficult as a first tank? I would imagine that something dying would foul everything up quite rapidly... would a sizable clean up crew help enough?

I think my bio-cube needs better/new fans. Any advice on replacing them with computer fans? Will it have a substantial effect on the temp?

Also, my hubby wants an 8 gallon bio-cube for his desk at work or something similar. In case he reads this I'll preface by saying MY two-29 gallons are technically his. For simplicity, let's just say this is basically his first tank. Because of the consolidation of the reef, is it terribly difficult as a first tank? I would imagine that something dying would foul everything up quite rapidly... would a sizable clean up crew help enough?

I just bought some upgraded fans for my 29g cube, too. The best ones I found in the 60mm size were the cheapest ones at Fry's...about $7 each. If I remember correctly the specs are 21+ cfm at 27 dbl. Every "quiet" fan I found just doesn't push enough air. I plan on installing these this weekend. You're welcome to pm me in a week or so, and I'll let you know what diffence they've made. My hunch is a one degree drop and double the evaporation.

Also check-out nanotuners.com.

As for the 8 gal cube, I would say it's not the best choice for a first tank especially away from home where it gets ignored on weekends. I would pay special attention to keeping salinity stable and smart choices on livestock / coral. The 14 gal Biocube may be a better choice. I've only been reefing for a year, so don't take any advice from me too seriously :)

Flushdraw

Archived