T5 lighting

Beretta

The time for putting my 29g together is coming fast. I'm all set on a 30" 250w metal halide light fixture I found that will fit a 29g perfectly. It's $338, and while high, it seems like a good fixture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Inch-Current-USA-Su...7QQcmdZViewItem

Now, I've been reading about T5 lights and how people really like them. I've looked at some fixtures, and the best one I've been able to find that will fit is this:

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~Sea...dor~~tab~4.html

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-SOLAR-T5-AQUARIUM-L...7QQcmdZViewItem

or this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/30-Aquarium-Light-T5-H...7QQcmdZViewItem

These lights are around $100 cheaper. Question is; will these T5 fixtures put out enough light for an sps dominated tank, and is this fixture a good quality product? Should I just stick with the 250w MH light? If the fixtures are good but the bulbs are crap, where can I get good bulbs?

Thank you in advance for input.

Edited by Beretta

ok so heres a little story. There are no false statements. I ordered the 8x54w t5 from the EBAy member track_gps on Jan 10th a thursday, and 13 business days later i recieved it with all the bulbs broken. They miss placed my order, charged my card on the 14th and never sent it till i forced the issue. The light turned out to be an awesome buy despite the delay. You will have to change all the bulbs cause the ones that it come with are WAY to green on the daylight side. thats my 2 cents. The light made my take alot brighter and my corals are alot better looking with viberant colors. Look at my post on "new lighting" a few weeks back and there are pic of new light on tank

Go to Drs Foster & Smith web site. www.drsfosterandsmith.com

I have ordered everything from Live fish and inverts, to dog food and bedding to my Nova Extreme T5 setup. They are prompt, courteous, will buy back even fish with a 14 day money back guarantee! I have a 48" T5 setup and my Actinics and 10k's were about $18 each. Here is the link directly to the bulbs:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/pet_...3578+3733+13821

Edited by renman303

I would think you will be more happy in the long run with the T5s. Here are my two reasons.

The main problem I see with going with a halide on your setup it the amount of water versus the heat being added. Your halide would have to sit 12 inches off your tank to maybe keep the temperature down. And that is a huge maybe. Unless you have a sump that is adding alot in water volume to your tank. I had a 250 halide over a 60 cube and my heat would climb to 83 to 84 during the day on hot humid days. T5's run cooler and wont add as much heat to your water.

T5's also will give you a better spread over a three foot tank. A halide usually covers two feet well, but with a three foot tank (in my mind, I am thinking 29 gallon is a three foot tank, if I am wrong then never mind), you will have a little less light in the corners. T5's you can order for the length of your tank.

That being said, I would hate to miss out on the shimmer effect of halides :)

Good luck in your choice in lighting.

The biggest problem is a 29g is 30" long, and I haven't been able to find anyone that offers high quality replacement bulbs for a 30" fixture. If someone knows of some, please tell me.

Also, is the 4-bulb nova extreme fixture enough light to grow sps? Seems a little on the low light side, but I don't know that much about T5.

I will be running a 20g sump with this fixture, and my office stays fairly cool. Looks like I'll have to go with the mh fixture, put a fan on it, and pray.

If anyone else has a good suggestion, please let me know.

I use the Tek fixtures from Reefgeeks... they don't have a 30" fixture though.

From what I understand about the T5 fixtures; you would need one with individual reflectors to get the light you would need for SPS. I've never used the Nova Extreme... so I can't tell you any more than that.

The Nova Extreme does not have individual reflectors but, one reflector the length of the lamp. I only have 4-54w bulbs (2-10k and 2-420nm Actinic) over my 55 gallon and no issues. I even have 3 clams which are fat and happy!